How much does Public school cost?

This might be a silly question, but I went to private school my whole life and my mom doesn't even know for sure. I'm wondering this because my oldest will be in Kindergarten next year. She said that it's free? I live in Porter county, Indiana if that makes a difference.

LilLegs

Asked by LilLegs at 3:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You don't pay for your child to go to public school. Public school is funded by taxes. You may have to pay a registration fee (some places, I hear), and you may/may not have to pay for/provide supplies like paper, pencils, crayons, etc. But in terms of tuition, it is free.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Public school is paid by tax dollars so you do not pay anything out of pocket as far as I know. My kids go to private school but I went to public school as a kid
    KathMW

Answer by KathMW at 3:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Public means just that...public. Anyone can go there and they don't charge you. They do nickle and dime the heck out of you for book fairs, fieldtrips, carnivals and all sorts of other things.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• We just moved to Missouri from Kansas. Here in Missouri it's free but Back home I had to may 35.00 per child for book fees
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Public school is free in that it is paid for by taxes but you'll probably still be required to pay for school supplies/book fees/misc. Our "fees" for our grade school run about $75 per child per year; we pay about $450 per year at the high school level (not counting fees for extra curricular activities and sports).
    Anonymous

• I live in Illinois and my daughter is in kindergarten. We paid 72.00 for materials and tech fee and we bought all her school supplies. Yearly supply of milk was 40.00 but she is allergic so we didnt have to pay that.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• As far as I know, all public schools are free but it may vary from state to state. I would google your state's department of education to see what you can find out.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I live in Indiana and we DO have to pay for public school! I know it is crazy. My son is in kindergarten and it was $95 for school books- they don't even have school books in kindergarten- Plus then you have to buy supplies, pencils, pens, crayons, markers, etc..
    akbogan

Answer by akbogan at 2:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2008