My baby is almost 5 months. Is that too early for some simple foods like cereal or avocado?

Twinklights

Asked by Twinklights at 5:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start with cereal first for a few weeks, then move on to veggies
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Start off with the baby oatmeal/rice cereal mixed very thin with a lot of formula/breastmilk and gradually change the ratio of liquid:cereal. After they seem to be doing well with the cereal, definitely try some veggies/fruits.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Most pediatricians recommend waiting til they are 6 months old now, but you could probably safely start with the baby oatmeal for a couple weeks to see how the baby reacts. And a big tip for you: DON'T go to fruits first. Make sure you do green veggies first, because when you do the fruits or sweeter veggies first, baby gets used to the sweet and will sometimes refuse the green veggies when you try to start them. Trust me, it's true. My boys started with bananas and cereal, then I tried green peas and green beans and they would NOT eat them. My daughter, she started with cereal then moved on to green peas, and they were her favorite food until she was about 2. SHe would just carry around a bowl of the little green peas and eat them for her snack lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My experience is that it is best to start with ONE type of food (cereal, in this case ) and stick with it for a while before adding anything new ....mostly to test for allergies. So adding new foods slowly, one at a time, after cereal is the best idea . Try sweet potatoes ...most babies really love them (or hate them ) but fun to introduce new foods and test the reaction. Happy yummies !!!
    H20Baybee

Answer by H20Baybee at 5:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Does he show you signs that he's ready, such as watching you eat with interest? My daughter started having cereal and stage 1 fruits and veggies at about 3 months because she would try to grab for my food.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• baby rice/grain cereals first. Start with rice. Then Oatmeal. Wheat cereals last because they have the highest chance of allergy. Stick with ONE for 4 days - don't introduce more than one thing at a time, in case your baby has a bad reaction to it, you need to know exactly what caused the reaction. Once you've introduced cereals, you can introduce vegetables - peas, carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes, squash, corn, etc. Veggies always come first. Remember that tomatoes are a fruit. After you've exhausted the types of veggies, start fruits. Things like bananas, applesauce, peaches, pears. Nothing acidic - no pineapple, orange, strawberries, tomatoes, until at least 9 months. More likely to have allergic reaction or intolerance because of the citric acid, not to mention they can get a rash around the mouth/chin from it. Start baby yogurt (specifically. Not adult yogurt like yoplait) and cheese at around 10 months.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No sooner than 6 months minimum. I'd never use that rice cereal. It's flakes of preservatives and fake iron. I don't even consider that stuff food, much less a baby's first food. Google "benefits of delaying solids" or "child led solids". There are no benefits to starting early and it's healthier to wait. Solids in the first year are just for texture play. So don't waste time on cleaning up mess or tummy space on empty calories. No solids are as nutritious as breast milk so you should keep baby full on that instead. My daughter didn't start solids til 11 months.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• BTW babies grab everything so don't take that as a sign to start. My baby liked to chew my toes but I wasn't gonna let her eat those. NO DAIRY FOR AT LEAST 12 MONTHS. Even then it's not needed. Cow milk is for cows.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My doc said 4 months was fine so I started out my DD on mashed avocado just after she turned 4 months. Just start with one new food per week. Oh, and I didn't even bother with rice cereal.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Only cereal until baby is 6 months then veggies, 7 months fruit, 8-9 months meats and table food/finger foods at 9 montsh. Thats what my DDs dr. said to do. Good luck.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010