Would you say something?

I know this is probably going to sound petty, but this has bugged me for years, and the older I get, the more it bugs me.

I have been on this Earth for more than 40 years, yet not a single one of my relatives (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) knows how to spell my name! I just opened another holiday card from one of my relatives and my DH's name is spelled correctly & our DS's name is spelled correctly, but mine is spelled wrong....again....and it's not like I have an unusual name, either.  My parents say it's no big deal & I should just let it go, so I have, for years, but it hurts to think that they have so little consideration for me that they can't even spell my name right.  Oh, and I should mention, my DH's family ALWAYS spells my name right & they've only known me for 22 years.

Would you be upset & hurt? And more to the point, would you say something at this point?

mom2aspclboy

Asked by mom2aspclboy at 5:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• wow,that's crazy!
    My husband's aunt's BF kept calling me Amy for years. My name is Tina! Amy isn't even close!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My own dad doesn't know how to spell my name and he named me so I don't know if I would or not I am 50. They don't have a clue how to spell my daughters name either and it's simple.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I hear ya! I would say something! my inlaws called or youngest son Cullin for about the forst 18 mo of his life (he just turned 2) we are constantly telling them its COLIN!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 6:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• If it really bothers you-which it obviously does- you could say something but kinda make a joke out of it. That way they would know that you noticed but it won't be starting any kind of fight.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Ya i'd be upset. And i would say something.
    lilshortie415

Answer by lilshortie415 at 7:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i would just laugh it off, family always spells my mums name wrong on cards and she just laughs at it
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My name is Easy .. Three letters, but generally it is that of a Middle Eastern Man (Or popular Boxer) rather then a women's name. My first name is spelled differently then the way that the nickname is spelled. Allison - Ali .. So a lot of people who spell my name "Alley", "Allie", "Alli" .. and so on. Even those who have known me all my life or at least 15+ years still spell it wrong. Friends, family, it doesn't matter they always spell it wrong. On my FB I have my full name (Allison) and people I've known my whole life call me by that just because it's on my FB like that. Even though they know I prefer my nickname. Both bother me, but it honestly isn't worth a dime in anything. It's one of those things that has nothing to do with me at all, but just their laziness and lack of attention. You really shouldn't take it personally at all.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You're being petty. Just be happy you got a card.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 6:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• it would bug me, my family spells my daughters name wrong all the time, they don't even spell it how it sounds
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It's funny how some people remember things better than others. My mom is named Willie. You wouldn't believe the mail she gets that says, "Mr. Willie." She disregards it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2010