WTF kind of logic is this?!

My husb was given a sleep study kit to do at home to test for sleep apnea. Unfortunately, we did not get the message from the Dr.'s office not to do it, b/c our insurance wouldn't cover it (a $300 test)- No - instead they (the Ins. Co. ) would rather pay thousands of $$$ to have my husb go to a sleep clinic, over nite- to be tested. How stupid! And we wonder why our health care system is so expensive & mismanaged.

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My insurance did not want to cover my BC, but will cover me having a baby!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It is the same logic that will send someone to a nursing home but not pay for in-home care, which is cheaper.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Tricare made me get my weekly ultrasounds at the hospital (placenta previa/bleeding) for $1000 a pop instead of at the doctor's office for $200 a pop. The ultrasound tech wasn't "in network."

It is nuts.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Wow, thanks a lot, huh? So sorry! I always call our ins. co. myself, if I am in doubt, you can't trust anyone any moreā€¦ :(
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• When I had my youngest and we had railroad insurance, they had no problem covering every bit of my $100,000+ pregnancy, but refused to pay the $1500 for my husband's vasectomy. How stupid!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I always call my insurance co. To confirm any referrals/specialized services outside of my primary care physician. So I have not experienced a "surprise" denial of services. I have heard the at home tests are not as reliable as the overnight study. At least when my dad did it a year and a half ago.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Call your insurance before doing any sleep study. I had the home one done and then a $1,000 bill came. I called said we had insurance what was my portion they said it was declined and that I would be required to pay whatever portion they didn't cover in my out of network. Luckily they covered nothing because the company then waived the whole bill. Had they covered $100 I would have been responsible for $900. So call both company doing test to check benefits and insurance. It does suck and medical industry could save alot if they quit trying to raise prices to cover insurance deducts. I just seen a bill my insurance is paying for $10 a single dose of Motrin. I spent $5 for a whole bottle across the street:(
    Good luck with the test.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 1:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• a "surprise" denial of services *covered*. ;)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It is the same logic that made the insurance company deny higher percentage coverage for emergency surgery my son had after a 4-wheeler accident. They said we should have gone past our local hospital and driven 45 miles away to Raleigh to the emergency room at Wake Med. I guess the word "emergency" is what they didn't understand. They didn't even care that we made the required call and reported the accident. No instructions were given that we had to go to an "in network" doctor 45 miles west while my son bleed all over the place. This is the crap that needed reform and not the load of BS we are being forced to deal with.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

Yep- Social Security pays for a nursing home. It DOESN'T pay for in home care. That is a SHAME too. Many do go to the nursing home for the SS pays for it. Too bad SS won't cover home care.
    Anonymous