gestional sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole at 5wks/6days anybody else had this happen and is it something to be overly concerned over? :(

Had a trip to the ER on friday because of cramping on right side and burning with urination plus severe back aches. All they said was "hey you are pregnant" (which I already knew) but scheduled an u/s today because of complications with my last pregnancy.

U/s today showed I was 5 wks/6days pregnant...but only showed a gestional sac, a yolk sac, and a cyst on my right ovary (common in pregnancy and actually a good thing) but no fetal pole. The tech said that was "kinda good" and maybe I'm too early to see the fetal pole.

The ER doctor today was not as helpful, he disregarded the orders for blood work and didn't sign me up for another u/s. He said theres a good chance I'll be okay...even though the tech said there's only a 50/50 chance. I saw my son at this exact time (well one day extra lol) on an u/s and also had a heartbeat. I'm nervous and go back and forth from fear with tears to feeling peaceful. Any words of wisdom, experience, comfort, or even straight up reality would be appreciated. I need someone to lean on or who understands as hubby just says "everything will be okay" and I tend to see negative negative negative.

Thanks guys especially those who have been there for me recently :)

babyTmommytobe

Asked by babyTmommytobe at 6:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a cyst on my ovary with my second dd and was surprised when the tech told me it actually helped support the pregnancy.

I also had a very early ultrasound which showed nothing and it worried me too....now I am 32 weeks pregnant and doing great!

Dont panic yet.....relax and give it another week.....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Okay, there are two possibilities here. One, you just have a slow grower. It is VERY possible at this point that you will be just fine. Do NOT let anyone tell you differently. I hope that this is the case. At 5/6 weeks, sometimes it really just hasn't developed yet.

The alternative is what happened to me with my first pregnancy. It's called a blighted ovum, which is really crude and depressing. What happens is exactly what you've stated - the sacs are there, but the fetus is not. You're pregnant, the egg was fertilized, it embedded, and it began to divide - but somewhere along the way, something went wrong with the division, and the baby just didn't grow. You still have all the hormones, all the symptoms....but no baby. It's a fairly common form of miscarriage, but you never hear about it until it happens to you. I didn't find out until nearly 12 weeks. Wait until then to have another u/s, so it can be accurate.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 6:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• id say wait before you panic you are very early yet id demand another us its amazing how much they grow in one week.are you spotting?
    loomis6

Answer by loomis6 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• no spotting, just cramping. Every website is confusing and seems to conflict with each other. Some say its almost always visible at five to six weeks others say six weeks others say seven and so on....does one day make a huge difference? Tomorrow I"ll be six weeks. I knew I shouldn't have gone so early :(
    babyTmommytobe

Comment by babyTmommytobe (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I had some bleeding at 5.5 weeks and went to the er. Found out it was implantation bleeding and when they did an u/s all the seen was the gestational sac. I'm almost 34 weeks now. Good luck
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 6:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• So it really could just be too early then ladies?
    babyTmommytobe

Comment by babyTmommytobe (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• yeah it could totally be too early--alot of times they dont get a heartbeat till up to 12 weeks. i went in for SEVERE bleeding and pain at 5 weeks 6 days and they had no fetal pole but a sac-2 weeks later went in and had a great heartbeat. now i am 4 months and 1 week and so far-knock on wood-everything seems to be in order. no more pain or bleeding for many weeks now. dont give up or stress out-i know its hard-but stress is soooo bad for a little one trying to grow! good luck-i'll be prayin for you! :)
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• The other thing to remember is that you could have ovulated/or implanted a bit later. Even a day makes a huge difference that early.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 10:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• thank you guys big help :) ill keep y'all updated
    babyTmommytobe

Comment by babyTmommytobe (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If anyone wonders, I made it through another week pregnant. No miscarriage yet so fingers are still crossed and I'm starting to not worry as much but you never know.
    babyTmommytobe

Comment by babyTmommytobe (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2010