did you spay your dog? two questions related...

i am debating on whether to have her come home or stay overnight. Here in MA, it costs 415 dollars(estimate i got) which is so expensive.

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Pets

• I worked at vet for 12 years and I will bring mine home however it is because I know how to take care of them when they are still loopy. But if they suggest keeping the dog over night I would because that will give her quite time while she is recovering. They do check the animals out first thing the next day. They make sure the incision looks good and give them what ever they might need. The clinic where I worked will let the clients take their pets home however they MUST bring them back the following morning first thing to be checked out.
    That price might be a bit high but it really depends on the size of the dog and the area you are in. If you are concerned about the price you might look for a low cost clinic or call around to differant vets.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I work at a vet and I have mine stay the night. Two major reasons. 1) they are so out of it. My Dh finds it scary and doesn't like to see them that way. 2) I know they are safe confined in a small area. The other reason we recommend pets spend the night is that they are looked at first thing in the morning and receive a shot of antibiotics.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Ours came home the same day, she was there till later in the evening. All went fime.
    bubs57

Answer by bubs57 at 6:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i got my dog neutered..i took him in at around 830am..and was able to pick him up again at 430ish..i wouldnt leave him overnight..unless there were some sort of complications
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes, she's spayed, and no, she didn't stay overnight. She was spayed at a "spay & neuter clinic", which is insanely cheaper than taking your dog to a regular vet. Our regular vet wanted over $600 to neuter our male (pre-op bloodwork, surgery, overnight stay), but at the clinic, which does nothing except "fix" dogs & give shots, they only charged $70. They do not keep dogs overnight unless there are significant complications, so you must drop off your animal by 7:30 AM and pick it back up by 4:30 PM.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2010