Water Births

Im interested in perhaps doing a water birth. have any of you done it and what was your thoughts on it?

amanda21384

Asked by amanda21384 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Waterbirth

I had a waterbirth with my youngest, and I wish I had been able to do the same with all 3!

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I haven't but I want to next time I have a baby! I wanted to the first time but insurance wouldn't cover it because the center was run by midwives. Now there's a new birthing center that is run by an OB so insurance covers it.
    It is supposed to be so much better because the water is soothing to you, helps you labor with less pain...the weightlessness of water and all that. Plus, it's a much easier transition for the baby. Normally they come from safe, warm, quiet, watery environment of the womb straight out to the (relatively) cold, bright, loud, dry world. With a water birth, they transition out into the not quite so protected water, which still muffles light and sound and gives them some of the same feelings of the womb, before being forced into the cold air. I'm not pregnant yet and I'm already excited about being able to do a waterbirth next time!
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 6:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• thanks ladies the more i see videos and read on it the more i think for my first id like to go this route.
    amanda21384

Comment by amanda21384 (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I didnt have a water birth, but I spent the majority of both of my labors in the water and it was amazing! Helped with the pain sooo much!!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I love waterbirthing!
    It's a lovely way to bring baby into the world and use safer coping alternatives.

Do you want to be at home?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:38 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• well im not sure if i want to do it at home im a little nervous since its my first baby but perhaps a water birth center
    amanda21384

Comment by amanda21384 (original poster) at 8:46 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I encourage you to learn what you can, make a list of questions and interview everyone.
    You will discover that a homebirth and a birth center aren't that different.
    (I have had waterbirths myself and attended them in homes, birth centers, and hospitals.)

Being your first or your tenth, you can still make this the Best Experience possible.
    Learn what this is for you~~

;-D
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010