is it okay to give my 2 year old...

Is it okay to give my 2 year old Luden's throat drops? He has the worst cough and coughed literally all night last night and all day today. I have given him over the counter cough syrup but doesn't seem to really be helping at all and I have ran his humidifier all day long.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Every medicine has an age limit what is on the paper in the box. Check it and ask your pharmacist as well. Plus your doctor (depends on what the pharmacist says.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 6:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• those are just candy

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Pick Vick's Vapor Rub on the bottoms of his feet at night and cover them with socks or footie pajamas. It works for some reason. I do it on myself when I get bad colds.

They don't recommend cough syrups for young children anymore because they really don't do a lot and there is a lot of dosing issues.

I often use warmed honey and lemon juice to soothe the throat and help with coughing. I wouldn't give him a cough drop because they are small and could be a choking hazard.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would't think so. I would be afraid he would choke on it. They make those ones that dissolve on the tongue if he can take those? I"m not sure never given my son who is 3 anything for a cold.
    BeautyFromPain

Answer by BeautyFromPain at 6:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• offer a spoon of honey! it helps coat the throat. cough drops might not be a good idea in case he swallows it
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Nobody on this website can give you a safe answer to that question. I would say no because it has the same chemicals as adult cough syrup. Please call your child's doctor and ask them if you can use them, or what you can use. I'm sure that pharmacies must sell some kind of equivalent for children. When my daughter had a really horrible cough, the pediatrician had us use a respirator on her.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 6:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would be afraid he would choke. When my 15 year old was little they had the greatest thing. Dimatap made a cough drop lollypop. I don't know why they discontinued them. I always look for them. I second the vicks on the bottom of the feet at night. Sometimes it really works.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i read on a bag of natural cough drops, it said no. not for 5 and under. i use this on my kids, and was given this when i was a girl:

http://www.vitacost.com/Boericke-Tafel-Childrens-Cough-Bronchial-Syrup

this has been out for years. i am 25 and my mom gave me this when i was little.
    babysam0506

Answer by babysam0506 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i use little colds for my two year old i give her 1 ml or a full dropper every four hours iv even given my 3 month old 1/4 or a dropper and they are both alive. iv told my drs to it think they dont want kids taking that stuff becasue some people are dumb and OD there kids.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• uhttp://www.hylands.com/products/coughsyrup4kids.phpse
    We use Little Colds and the Vick's on the bottom of the feet with warm socks it really works.Their is a all natural hylands cough syrup.I posted you might want to check this out Walgreens carrys it. I hope the little one feels better soon it can make mommies as miserable as the tot..
    fancinanni

Answer by fancinanni at 12:35 AM on Dec. 14, 2010