I hate this common phrase

"you need to learn some respect" now both times Ihave heard this one time was from some young black boy trying to physically and emotional abused my friend. He was trying to make her think I was the enemy and he had an issue with us being friends because I would want her to do better for her self. 2nd time some lady was mad about some other situation and lashed out on me.

both times the other party was wrong. I have always belived if you have respect for yourself you shouldn't need it from anybody else. So when I hear people talk about respect (espcially younger people) I get upset cause it's not what they are thinking it to be...to claifiy they think it means to fear. I fear no man only God.

What is your definition of the word and/or feeling?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 6:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Hate it - and usually the person saying it deserves NO respect!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I've only heard that from tyrant type of people. Not just young people, but older people who are bitter
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I'm with sweetpotato, you get what you give
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• it doesn't mean to fear others. i have said this before, and when i do/did it means they need to respect another person, mainly someone in A)authority over them or B) an elder. meaning you don't sit there and say "yeah", "whatever", or go telling them off, ect. how would you feel if you were in authority over someone (like you had an employee) that did nothing but cuss at you, tell you off, diss you, ect.? you'd fire them and find someone with more respect. at least i'd hope you would. i don't see respecting someone fearing someone...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I can see in those cases but I am saying a young 21 year old homeless guy telling me I need to respect him....if it wasnt for me paying the othr half of that rent he wpuld be back in the street. He needed to respect me. He is in a house I paid for. For the other chick it was IDk what her issue was. I can see being nice to your elder and say a boss or offical. Same time they cant just push you over. I try to be nice to folks I dont get whee someoen with no foot to stand on is comming at me with something so crazy. I hate the phrase.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I agree with Armywife!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Treating other people how you expect to be treated in return.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:56 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I think everyone should respect everyone no matter sex, race, rich or poor. NO ONE IS BETTER THAN ANYONE..we were all created the same.

For example my 21 year old friend is dating a rude egotistical, controlling, posesive jerk who is 35 years old (he thinks he is god) I hate him with every ounce of hate i have in me. BUT I respect him by not being rude by not scuffing and rolling my eyes by folling his rule sin his home, by using my manners towards him. HE KNOWS I HATE HIM BUT HE KNOWS I RESPECT HIM. HE HATES me but respects me bc if he didnt i would cut "it" off
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I think respect is about giving credit to whom it's due. Some people deserve respect because of who they are... parents, peace officers, etc. But unfortunately there are a lot of people who demand respect when they haven't earned it. To those people, I politely say "Respect is earned. I will give you the same level that you give me".
    Also, respecting someone doesn't mean you kow tow to them... it just means you have enough class to talk to them politely and patiently. Example: I respect my parents without question, but that doesn't mean I haven't had some very tough discussions with them.(Or them with me, rather)
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2010