Has anyone had a breech baby?

I am not pregnant yet but I'd like to be. One of my BIGGEST fears though, is having a baby be breech and having to have a C-section. My daughter was positioned perfectly, but even with her I had been afraid of that in the beginning of pregnancy. My previous OB told me that he will not deliver a breech baby vaginally, it has to be a C-section. I cannot describe to you how afraid I am of having to have a C-section.
Has anyone had a breech baby delivered vaginally? How did it go? Was it in a hospital, a birthing center, or at home? who presided over the birth? Was the baby ok? Did you have an epidural, or non-medicated birth? Was it more painful than a normal birth?
Is it even possible to deliver a breech baby vaginally?
Please bump until someone answers who has had this experience and can describe it.

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 6:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• If your provider is not trained in breech birth, then you need to get one that is. Breech is simply a variation of normal. Transverse babies are not able to be delivered vaginally at all, although sometimes they can be turned. It does depend on the position of the placenta though. Placenta previa requries a c-section, as do some other placenta conditions.

I think that your best defense here is to educate yourself on necessary c-sections, as well as find a provider that is trained and experienced in breech birth. If you have not considered a homebirth midwife, it would be a good time to learn about them and how to find a good one.
    :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 7:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Your doctor is an idiot then. My daughter was breech and the doctor turned her and she came out vaginally.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My son was transverse (sideways) and I had to have a C-Section. I was terrified, but seriously...it was a piece of cake. I loved it. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. You can birth a breech baby vaginally, depending upon the position, but if they're sideways, like mine is...it's not possible.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• like mine was*
    LovingSAHMommy

• My dr did say he'd try to turn the baby if it was breech at 36 weeks, but that it doesn't always work.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yea, we tried turning my son but he wasn't having it, lol. He'd stay way up in my ribcage and never dropped or turned. He still has the same personality...stubborn. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My son was frank breech and my doctor tried to turn him, but that stubborn boy would not budge. I think that the doctor trying to turn him (which hurt like crazy BTW) actually caused me to go into labor that day. It is possible to have a breech baby vaginally but it is riskier and what my doc said was that you can try it but if there is a problem during the delivery then you will have to have a c-sec anyway. After my son was delivered the doc said that he was pretty big and I may not have been able to push him out anyway. I was really upset that I had to have a c-sec (especially with less than 1 day warning) but it was fine. The delivery was a piece of cake. Recovering was harder than after natural childbirth (had my dd naturally) but then you do get a baby at the end of it :)
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My first child was breech. I had him by C-section, back in 1987 that was the thing to do.
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 7:40 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My 4th child was butt first from about 4 months gestational on. There was no turning him. I had a c-section. The doc said the way he was positioned, he would have never been able to turn the baby, and had a C-section not been an option, we would have both died. I think it was a breeze! The fear of the unknown was the worst part about it. My recovery was nice and easy, you bleed less. I was terrified, but it was all for nothing. I was ok, baby was ok. He is now 5. We tell him the story about how my gynie calls him the "butt head" because his butt was where his head was supposed to be. He loves to hear the story, and laughs when we call him the "butt head" baby . You will be fine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:33 AM on Dec. 14, 2010