Do you have friends/family like this?

Who make no attempt to buy you or your family X-mas gifts,but will come around just long enough to snatch up what you got them and leave?
My BIL and his family are like this. Last year they were here 15 minutes,no lie! They even said they'd come get their gifts,but had to go right away because they had to "hit up' a couple other places and only had an hour to make the rounds.
They refuse to just spend time with us.
They threw their kids a birthday "party" in September and made us leave in less than an hour.
They're getting a surprise this year. We only bought for a select few.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I only buy for the kids. We agreed to stop buying for the adults a few years ago. My sister still shows up with something for everyone. Which is her choice.... but then she gets upset when she doesn't get any. She's the main reason we quit to begin with. She would actually count how many she got! She's 43 years old! She has no children and doesn't understand that my kids are my first priority. DUH!
    knappkin

Answer by knappkin at 7:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes my son and his then girlfriend now wife brought her 3 kids from 2 different daddies and the oldest girl was and still is in foster care and the other 2 live with their daddy she don't even have custody of them didn't bring a gift for anyone but expected gifts from all of us. I didn't know they were coming and I had to send my daughter to town to get them a gift nothing worst then sitting there while everyone else is opening gifts & they are just kids anyway. Next year I suggested we just have fun and play games no gifts and they got miffed and they haven't been to family Christmas in 3 years now I get tired of buying, buying, buying and this yr everyone who is coming is getting 1 gift the same that they give us. If they can do it so can we. Suprise, Suprise!
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah, my hubby's side of the family use to do this, then I ended the gift giving and now they don't come at all.

Answer by older at 7:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• my SIL is like that we'll be at a family event and she'll stay for an hour. you can see it in my MIL face it sort of bothers her but she doesn't say anything. She will also stay long enough to drop her daughter off.
    lovingedward

Answer by lovingedward at 7:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes, my husband's family is like that. We bought for everyone the first three years we were married (he has 4 siblings, plus their spouses and at that time 17 nieces and nephews). After three years of buying for 25 people and not getting anything in return - even a thank you - we stopped buying for them. I felt bad at first, we bought for my family and not his, but his family is not grateful for anything and my family had a traditional gift exchange. I wouldn't buy for your BIL's family either, it's pretty rude to visit to get the gifts and run. Hope your family has a Merry Christmas. (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• no.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No. We only buy for the kids in our immediate family.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 7:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• my in-laws are the same way. I finally told them that we didn't have the money to buy for anyone since we couldn't even afford to buy for our own kids and if they want to buy for ours then we wouldn't mind, but not to worry if they couldn't afford to do so. Even when we go over there we will spend all afternoon (the mornings are spent with my family) while others will come in, pick up their presents, and leave.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 7:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Luckily, no, but I have family that shows up last to family functions just in time to eat and then leave right away so they don't have to help cook or clean up. I always thought that was kind of rude. It's not like they were working or anything. They just didn't want to do any work. When I was a kid we were always the first family there and the last to leave even though we were coming from out of town (4 hour drive). My mom's sisters that lived just 10 minutes away would show up as we were eating and then leave within the hour and if we didn't show up they would complain.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Honestly we stopped getting gifts for everyone years ago. It was simply a horrific waste of time.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010