Nursing & hypothyroidism

I went to an endocrinologist today and found out I most likely have hypothyroidism and will have to take meds to regulate my thyroid. Any other nursing mothers with the same situation? My doctor said it is worse not to take the meds and that it won't affect my milk. I've been nursing for 8 months and don't want to stop until he's ready. Advice? Stories of experiences?

Vix920

Asked by Vix920 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Health

• Many medications are perfectly safe to take while breastfeeding. Make sure you are taking care of yourself so you can take care of your baby. If you are still worried after talking to your doctor, why not contact a lactation consultant?

Here is some more info that may help:
    The InfantRisk Center will be dedicated to providing up-to-date evidence-based information on the use of medications during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Our goal is to provide accurate information regarding the risks of exposure to mothers and their babies. By educating healthcare professionals and the general public alike, we aim to reduce the number of birth defects as well as create healthy breastfeeding relationships.

We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519. http://www.infantrisk.org/
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Here's another link for you. Best of luck! http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/meds.shtml
    PhilsBabyMama

• I nursed through two children and an underactive thyroid. I had no problems. The only problem that happened with my son was he had a hard time getting the synthroid out of his system when he was born. His TSH was high at birth and he had a hard time getting his temperature regulated. He's fine now.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2010