Did you have pets before your kids were born?

How did they react to the baby?

Vix920

Asked by Vix920 at 7:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Pets

• I've always had a cat
    She ignored him mostly. Sometimes she'd walk over and sniff him,then walk away

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I have always had pets, when my first born was born my Pomeranian was jealous, and as they grew, he was terrorized!!!!!!

Answer by older at 7:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• yes but eventually we had to get rid of the cat (she was 11) and she couldn't adapt and was scratching the baby. Such a bummer.
    Anonymous

• i have a very attached to me cat and am expecting my first in may so am wondering about this myself. they say if you have an animal who is used to being the center of your world to back off a bit and let them learn to be more independant, but how to do that without making kitty feel punished or unloved? plus its just me and him, father took off, so i enjoy every minute of his unconditional love! hopefully my baby and my furry "baby" will love each other!
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• got a kitten during my 2nd trimester to keep me company during bedrest.

upon finding out I was expecting I re-homed my 2 beloved cockatiels because of the upkeep and dander. Turned out to be a sign from above since my son had eczema and allergies from birth. I am sure they would not have helped things. Turns out little did I know 1 of my birdies was a very rare coloring and turned into a terrific breeder stud. hehe!

Kitty & baby ignored each other and now 6 yrs later they still pretty much do.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No. We got a dog when my son was almost 4.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 7:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I had three cats before dd was born. They were curious about her. they didn't hiss or try scratch at her when she was first home.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 7:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• there werent any animals around when my son was a baby...we had an outdoor cat. If we have another baby anytime soon we have 2 indoor cats now and a guinea pig and i think everyone would adapt just fine. They are good cats as far as adjusting to people go
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I had 3 cats and 1 dog before my daughter was born. They all did great. Granted Winnie hid in my bedroom even more then normal but she was my shy girl to begin with but she was always gentle with Kylie. It took Kiddie a long time to get used to Kylie but she was an older girl and used to a much quieter house hold. Kiddie tolerated her very well though and if anything would just hiss and vocalize her complaints. The other two had been raised around kids and the chaos they can bring from day one (they were my childhood pets) so they were not phased by Kylies presence at all.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Two dogs and a cat. The male dog knew I was pregnant before we did. He was DH's dog and was always with him, but as soon as I got pregnant he wouldn't leave my side and after the baby was born he wouldn't leave the babies side. Our female dog was also great with them. Our dogs were large well trained docile animals to begin with and I think their personality has more to do with how they react then anything else. The cat could have cared less. She would come sniff once in a while if I was nursing or holding the baby, but that was about it. As the kids got mobile things changed a little, but not much as we taught the kids very young to be gentle with the animals.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2010