is it ok to give my almost five month old mashed potatoes?

not really thick or a large amount..has any one done this?is it ok

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son had mashed potatoes at like 3 months. Not enough for him to choke on but just enough for the taste in his mouth. He is 5 months old and perfectly fine. I still give it to him now. These doc. are talking about a fad. our parents and grandparents were all fed before 6 months and now just because a doc tells us oh no it's bad were all going to stop. Nope, My son is healthy, strong and growing just fine with trying out new foods. I'm still nursing so he gets all the nutrients needed but do what you think is best mama! You know your child better then me, these other mamas and the doctors out there. Believe in yourself! :)
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Before Dr.s and 'specialists' came up with all the rules Mothers were spoon feeding babies for hundreds of years well before 6 months. I understand the allergy concerns. Potatoes isn't big on any allergy list. If fact, I have never met one person in my whole life allergic to potatoes. It's yor baby Mom, if you think he's ready, go for it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I think it is ok.

Answer by louise2 at 7:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes, it's ok. Make them a little runny.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• why would you want to? even doctors say to wait for cereal until after 6 months...although most will say between 4-6 months just so they don't have to get into it with a mom somewhere...i'd wait at least a month if you really want to give it to them...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I have done that in the past. In fact, my older two were eating table food by the time they were 5 months old, my son eating soft-scrambled eggs with milk and cheese. The only reason why I haven't done that with this baby (6 months) is because she's bigger than my other kids ever were at this age and I'm scared to give her too much food.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 7:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I gave my babies mashed potatoes, baby cereal and lots of other things earlyon in life. I see nothing wrong with it and they are all grown up and I know my mom did all of us kids & we are fine. I see nothing wronng with it.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Feed that baby!! lol As long as he's willing and ready, start feeding him!! Food this early is more for pleasure. Babies get most of their nutrition from nursing (which you're doing anyways). My daughter was eating cereal by 4 months and she's not underweight or overweight either. Her doctor actually recommended feeding her.
    BellasMom185

Answer by BellasMom185 at 2:24 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I don't see a problem with that.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 7:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I have four babies and I have done this, go for it.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 7:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010