My

FIL is such an ass! My MIL is a sweetheart but he is a total asshole. My poor husband had absolutely no chance of being a decent human being with a father like that.

Is one of your in-laws a total nightmare? Share a story.

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• My dh's biological mother is a freaking living nightmare, we cut out contact with her in February and sadly our life is the most peaceful it's been in the 6½ years that we've been together.

She has always just been awful to me for no apparent reason. Honestly. The first time I met her she insisted on introducing me as my husband's "new girlfriend" then after we were engaged "new fiance" because he was engaged before me. Also trust me she wasn't saying we were "newly engaged" because we weren't... She was also an awful mother to him, hence the reason his mom (step mom) raised him from the time he was 6 months old.

Anyway the straw the broke the camel's back was after her verbally attacking me when I was pregnant the second time because I told my mom before we told her to the point that was I was so upset I was shaking and by what I don't see as a coincidence I began miscarrying that pregnancy the next day. (Cont)
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I do have a few stories, but all of my in laws are dead, I would not speak ill of the dead!

Answer by older at 7:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• There are some things I did not like about FIL but it is those things that made my DH who he is. Everyone brings some of their childhood with them into adulthood, it is what you do with that experience that makes you who you are.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I have a step MIL and she has this stand off-ish vibe toward me and dh. I don't like that.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• iDK there is always a little ugh when it comes to in laws. I have a story or two. They say you can change your friends but not your family. Sorry but so true.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 1:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I never met my FIL, but my MIL pretends to like me... even though I am almost positive she hates me and thinks I am ruining one of her precious boys. (I love him with everything in me and take care of him better than he could ask for).
    Anonymous

• Then a year later we were pregnant for the third time and miscarried again. She then told me, "well I partly blamed myself for the last time until it happened again... because I was actually excited this time." Ok at this point we had a 3 yr old son and had been pregnant 2 more times and she was "actually excited" one time. Nice. Add that to all the horrible things she had said about, said to, and done to me and my husband was just done with dealing with her. I was done with her because I felt she was speaking badly about my babies that had passed away.

She hasn't met my 3 week old and possibly never will. She has only ever made an attempt to see my oldest twice before we stopped talking to her so trust me we aren't missing out.

kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 14, 2010