How old were you when you made a decision about your religion?

Was there a specific time when you chose to follow the teachings of Buddha? Or to follow the Koran? Or to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior? Or to be Wiccan? Or Jewish? Or a Hindu? Bahai? Or an agnostic? Or atheist?

Or did it just happen because family, friends, or acquaintances led you in that way? Or are you still searching?

ChezBelle

Asked by ChezBelle at 7:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't see faith as a one moment kind of thing. I never once stopped and decided or anything. Faith, for me, is a process, a journey. It isn't about just one moment of decision, but about the constant growth and cultivation. I've been cultivating my faith and spirituality since I was 4 years old, and I'll continue to cultivate it until I die. The idea of "deciding", to me, just makes it sound like a single moment kind of thing, where one can remain stagnant, and I don't want that to happen with me, I want to continue learning and growing. It also implies, to me, boundaries and parameters, in terms of deciding that "I'll choose this and not that", and I don't think I've ever had that kind of parameter or boundary to the way I believe. I see all sorts of possibilities and inspirations, from all sorts of different faiths. I don't like the idea of being in some sort of religious box, if that makes sense....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I guess I'm still searching. Not in a way that I don't know what I am, but in the way that I'm always open to new ideas. I've always loved the Catholic faith, but I did stray from it for awhile, mostly because I was ticked off at the treatment I received at one church in particular. Once I realized that one small church doesn't represent the religion itself, I went back. I do happen to incorporate some of the traditions I picked up from other beliefs into my practices as a Catholic now though.

So I guess what I am saying is that to me, religion should be an ever-evolving thing. If I were to ever just "pick something" and stay with it without question, I would think that my practice would become stale. I would hate to just stop learning one day.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I'm still making decisions about it. I'm always searching, questioning, and making discoveries.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I was 6 y/o when I decided to give my life to Christ Jesus. I was 21 when I took my life back. (transition)

plant a tree

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 12:12 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I made a decision towards christianity when I was only about 10 yrs. old and hardly old enough to know what I was doing. It took until I was in my 40's (and with the help of several lunatic bosses in a row) to get rid of the ridiculous fairy tales and adopt the agnostic's show-me stance towards god and religion. At 50 I found atheism and witchcraft (something I had dabbled with in my twenties, actually, but never taken up) at the same time. For some reason, BOTH seemed to fit me and my life experiences very well. And since no gods had ever bothered to show me anything, I am now here. And happy despite desperate christian judgments to the contrary!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I was 19 when I made the decision to accept Jesus into my heart and life. That was 26 yrs ago and my faith in Him is stronger now than ever before!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Godless I was born and godless I will die.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I was very young when I began questioning the religion in which I was being raised (fundie christian). By the age of 16 I was absolute in the belief that there is no afterlife, not supreme being, nothing. I am an Atheist.

Out of curiosity, was your capitalization of ALL beliefs excepting Agnosticism & Atheism intentional?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• OP- I guess you haven't been around long (apparently, you're on level 10). I should have looked at that before I said anything. Most here do it as a jab at those who disagree with their beliefs.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I was raised in a baptist home. I always questioned things. I stopped going to church and pretty much stopped believing in anything when I was about 16. I went back to church when I was 28. I accepted Jesus as my Savior at that time. I was baptized the next year.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2010