How can I keep him off???

Our 6 month old Beagle, I swear, has springs in his feet! He wiggles his way through the arms of the dining room chairs, gets up on the table, and leaps 3 feet over to my kitchen counter! We get him off the chair, table, where ever we catch him and tell him no, sternly. But, sometimes I have to go to the bathroom!! He knows he's not allowed to do it, he waits until I am occupied with something else.

We couldn't figure how he was getting to the counter, until the little turkey did it right in front of me today, lol!

Anybody have any ideas?? I'm more afraid of him getting hurt than getting into anything. I keep my counters cleared off. I would just like him to STOP JUMPING ON THE COUNTER!!!!!!

HELP?? Thank You!!!

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Pets

• It sounds like he has not been given boundaries. If he can't be trusted when you leave the room I would crate him when he has to be left unattended. Make him earn everything. You need to show him that every one in the house is higher in the pack then he is. One thing that I did have to do with my youngest dog over the summer was put a scat mat out on a glass top outdoor table because he thought that was the best place to sleep. He landing on it once and has not gotten up on that table since. One thing you might try before the scat mat is to place metal pans on the edge of the counter and set him up. The loud noise may deter him from doing this. You might have to set this up a few times but if you are consistant it might work.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I also want to add that he may be a dog that needs a job. If he is that smart and creative to figure out how to get on the counters you might want to look into some dog activies for him. Maybe agility.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I wonder if the scat mat would keep my beagle from getting into the trash can? I've tried all kinds of things. I have to put it in the bathroom when we leave, or he will get into it. Hell, he gets into it when we are home and in the other room where we can still see him!

Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• What is a scat mat? We've had dogs all our lives and I don't know what that is, lol!
    tracy0812

Comment by tracy0812 (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• http://www.amazon.com/ScatMat-20-Inch-Electronic-Training-Large/dp/B0007NTBJ6/ref=pd_luc_bxgy_01_02_t_lh

scat mats are a training tool that is good for teaching dogs and cats to stay off certain things.  The down side is that it does shock them but it is a quick shock and not painful (I have shocked myself with it) I have used this tool in the past when other training methods were not working.   They do come in differant sizes and if this the route you decide to take there are two brands that I know of one is a lot cheaper then the other. The more expensive one can be found at petsmart(not sure the brand name). All you should really need is the small or medium one

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Could it also be from not being able to run around outside and expel the energy he has?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 6:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2010