Can you join the military with a GED?

Our older daughter's boyfriend is working toward his GED and I'm tutoring him (his mom decided to "home-school" him and then when she realized there was some work involved just gave up). He wants to join the Marines, but he was told that a GED would not be enough, he would have to have college credits before joining. Does anyone know if this is the case?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 8:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes and no. It really depends on the branch, the needs of the military, and the person's background. The Marines are the least likely branch to accept a GED with the Army being the most likely to accept it. The reason that they don't like to take someone with a GED is because this group of people are the ones who are most likely to fail out or have to be discharged. My advice, if he truly wants to join the Marines, then have him take his GED test and do the 15 hours of college credit he needs (this can be done in one semester) and then apply. In the mean time, have him talk with the recruiters to let them know that he is interested and that he is working on what he needs to do to qualify to join the military.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• you can enlist with a ged or high school diploma (or assumed to be getting one shortly after you enroll). if you want a higher pay or better position then that is where you will need some college credits.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i dnt know but because my daughter wants to be a marine when gets older here is a bump!
    kimmy77

Answer by kimmy77 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It's best to just call the recruiter back and double check the information.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Im not sure with the marines but I know in the army you can. Have him make an appointment with the recruter and go to it with him so you know all of the information as well.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes. I mean for Army.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I'm not sure. I as thinking that some guys that I went to school with just had their GED and they joined the Army. Who told him this? Has he contacted a recruiter?
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• He contacted the recruiter, but ended up just talking to him on the phone. He doesn't listen well and is stubborn so when he "thinks" he hears something he's sure of it. He says the recruiter told him this, but it's not making a lot of sense to me.

scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010