Clarification..atheist/agnostic.

Can you be an atheist AND an agnostic?
I thought that atheists did not believe in any sort of God or Higher Power. So why do some people say they are Wicca/Atheist or Agnostic/Atheist? Don't they contradict each other?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Agnostics believe that there may be a god/higher power; atheists don't believe in any god/higher power
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Atheists -No God or higher power
    Agnostic- No way to know if there is or isn't
    Agnostic Atheist- No way to know but it is highly doubtful or "I don't believe there is, but I could be wrong".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I'm agnostic there may be a higher power, however I lean towards atheist in that I see no evidence of a higher power. So I often say agnostic /atheist.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• So an agnostic/atheist is someone who is still on the fence and doesn't want to make a commitment either way? Sort of like covering all your bases.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• So an agnostic/atheist is someone who is still on the fence and doesn't want to make a commitment either way?

For some I suppose, for others it's more a "realistic" point in which they admit that no one can know either way (At least not until they die), but their personal convictions lean them more towards the atheist side due to lack of evidence. Should they see some sort of evidence their convictions may change to be more Deist or Theist.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• If we were ALL to be honest with ourselves we would all identify as some form of agnostic as no one KNOWS for certain whether there is or isn't a God. However some of us are so strong in our convictions that no matter what proof for or against will be dismissed in one way or another so our beliefs are very unlikely to change at all and we are considered Strong in our beliefs whichever side of the spectrum they may fall.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Atheist: There is no god(s).
    Agnostic Atheist: There is no way of knowing if there is a god(s) or not, but I don't believe there is.
    Agnostic: There is no way of knowing if there is a god(s) or not.
    Agnostic Theist: There is no way of knowing if there is a god(s) or not, but I believe there is.
    Theist: There is a god(s).
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I think the others covered the Agnostic/Atheist thing, but I wanted to address the Wiccan/Atheist thing. While most Wiccans do believe in a God & Goddess or some form of Deity, others see them as simply a "figure" or a representation of energy, but not a "Higher Power" so they are technically both Atheist, because they don't believe in a higher power, but they also have the beliefs (at least in figure) of the Wiccan Religion...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Thanks for the answers ladies!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• im gonna answer the wiccan/atheist part haha

i for one am a pagan/wiccan/satanist/Atheist i like the concepts of the religions but i dont believe in their gods/goddesses
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 11:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010