Am i wrong?

I have a 4yr old son who has Down Syndrome. He was in a special ed. classroom last yr. for preschool that went 3 days a week for 2 1/2 hrs a day. I didnt see much progress with him in the year he was there. I have an associates plus one yr toward my special educ. degree so its not like i am doing this blindly. I decided he would be better off at a typical preschool where my oldest son went last yr. He would be going 5 days a week for 5hrs a day. I really loved the program and wanted to place Dominic there this yr. His teacher from last yr. said it would not be her recommendation. He started this scool in August and has made great progress. His speech has really devloped and even his learning skills has drastically improved. He is finally learning colors, letters, shapes and positional words and getting more and more consistant with them. But the other day, my aunt, who is a special educ teacher said i made a mistake. Dom has PT, OT and Speech come into the classroom to work with him so he is still getting extra support. I plan on having him go to this preschool next yr. before he is transitioned into Kindergarten.

team21

Asked by team21 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like you made the right choice for your son.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• whatever.....the results speak for themselves. it sounds like he is thriving in that class, so i would just point that out to your aunt and then basically ignore her after that.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Sounds like you made a great decision to me if he is getting that added support ini the classroom what harm could mainstreaming him into a reg classroom...it could help him...the younger you do it I think the better... the younger kids are the less critical they are too!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It sounds like the right thing to do, especially if the results are that drastic. Keep up the good work.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I do not think you did anything wrong. As long as he is getting the help he needs and you see him making progress then you did the right thing. You are the best person to fight for your child, so don't let other people tell you what you should do. I understand talking to teachers and listening to their advise although they are not always correct. You know your child best.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• We removed my disabled ss from public school after a year of no progress and now homeschool him. The improvement is amazing. You did the right thing.
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 5:27 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I agree I have a Daughter who has no diagnosis and to hear ur son has improved is what all mothers (i think) want for our kids and u cant be wrong for making him progress
    worriedcuzin56

Answer by worriedcuzin56 at 7:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I don't see how you can be wrong. Sounds like your son is thriving. Do what is best for your family.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2010