Is it too early to tell if my 2 1/2 year old has aspergers?

Recently, we have discovered that my husband and his 6 year old have Asperger's. After a lot of research on the subject I am suspicious that my daughter who is 2 1/2, may also have this. She doesn't seem to be as severe but not sure if that is just because she is young. Anyways here are some examples as to why I am suspicious....... She is extremely sensitive to sunlight, she is constantly picking her fingers, nails, toes, and even tries to pick things on other people. She doesn't listen well at all, almost like she can't hear you. She has this fear about cars, she is constantly looking back in parking lots and is really jumped by loud noises. She won't look at strangers and takes a long time to warm up. Maybe I am just being paranoid but if you have any thoughts I would love to hear!!

Ashley5605

Asked by Ashley5605 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started questioning my son at about 3 so I would say it is not to early to pick up on subtle signs. Those are things to keep an eye on and maybe mention to your ped. By the time she starts school you will know whether or not a diagnosis is something you should pursue. Sooner is the red flags become more numerous or more apparent. Def. Talk to your ped.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• maybe i have it too.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I think it may be a little young for an actual diagnosis. She sounds a lot like my son who is 3, except that he doesn't have a problem with strangers. I have started to have to cut out all his tags on his clothes and can't stand other visual and tactile things....but his could just be a sensory problem.... but i have aspergers so it make me wonder.

I would mention it to your son's doctor and see hat he says.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• they usually dont test until three make sure you rule everything else out-illness, hard of hearing,etc it is a spectrum disorder so can be mild to severe. I have achild with it and taught children from age 3-21 with autism.
    slyvester

Answer by slyvester at 8:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It's not too young for a diagnosis at 2 1/2. In most areas, by the time you actually got in for a developmental evaluation and had it completed she would be 3 anyway - but it's easier in most states to get in under their early intervention program than to have to go through the schools, so I would go ahead and do it now!

Answer by missanc at 12:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2010