Do you wish you would have kids earlier or later in your relationship?

My SIL is pregnant with thier 1st and they have been married a year and a half. I was married 8 years before we had our son. She was asking what I thought was better. I don't know, I know I waited until I was ready to be a mom. But I got married early so I had the luxury of time.
I had my son at 28 and daughter at 30.

What do you guys think, have kids early or wait awhile?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• later. i try telling people that are newlyweds to wait on having kids...at least a year i'd say. this way they can get to know each other more, be able to drop things and have a date night without finding a babysitter, and possibly start a savings account together if they don't already have one, among other things. we got married when i was pregnant. i wish i had the time to do all that. (although some people don't want to hear that. i had a friend who got pregnant just a few weeks after she got married. i told her to enjoy her husband (who went out to sea for a few weeks right after their wedding) while she could, cuz after the baby it may be harder to do than you can now. needless to say, she's not talking to me. she was a snob in school anyway)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• We got married at 18 and had our first baby at 23. For us, waiting five years was perfect.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• earlier

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Well, I had my son at age 25, and my husband was 30. I think we were right at a good age.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I got PG 2 months after we got married. Granted we had been living together for a year I wish we had waited. I was 23 when I had my first and I still feel like I missed out on a lot. I love my kids dearly but I wish I had the same exact 2 kids...3-5 years later.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I wish I had met my fiance before I had my kids and that he was their biological father. They were conceived because of birth control failure, but this man is the perfect father and we both wish he had fathered them.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Well in the end it has worked out very well... but we were only married 8 months when I got pregnant (so 17 mo. when I had her) and I was pretty young (for real life where I live...not for this site) at only 26 yrs with her.

I think it would have been VERY nice to have traveled a bit before we had kids.  It would have been VERY nice to have a bit more in the savings account. 

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 8:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i got pregnant 2 weeks after we got married! i was happy, but boy i wish we had a chance to be newlyweds first. not to mention we didn't have a house together and lived apart until my son was 1yo. things would have been better if i would have gotten pregnant later in the marriage, it would have caused less arguments lol. it was hard getting used to living together, being married and raising a kid all at once. it didn't turn out bad, but it would have been less stressful if it would have happened later on.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I got pgrenant anout 6 mo after we got married so I think we were good any earlier and ....
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I had kids early, I was 22 with my first 24 with my second and 27 with my third. I am not having any more kids and for me I liked having them early. I am still young enough to enjoy all the things they like to do and it is what worked. Also my DH and i were married after our oldest was born and by the time we were married 3 years we had 3 children. We have been married almost 14 years and we are very happy.

I guess everyone makes their situation work for them. I am not sure that one way is better than the other.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2010