Epidural Info?

SO... i'm terrified of needles... at this point i'm convinece that labor is going to be the easiest part if in fact i can't handle it and need a epidural...

the thought of it just makes my back hurt so much and i've had lower back pain my whole pregnancy...

My husbands friend just had a baby the other day and she told him it was the most painful thing- and the doctor like messed up putting it in ... she said it took 4 tries...
And she said that I don't want to know what its going to feel like and that i should just get it and when its over I won't remember anything ...

But I'm a freak I guess and I have to know because all the things i will think up will be a hundred times worse then hopefully what it will feel like so... any one have an experience with it that they can explain?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 4:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i think that anyway you want is fine its all about you being comfortable i had an epidural with my first son and it didnt really hurt. they give you a shot of novacain in your back to numb the area it burns a little but is nothing lke what your already going through lol then they put in the epidural it just feels like a lot of pressure on your back but doesnt hurt. after that i couldnt feel my contractions at all it worked so good that i was sleeping throught part of. how ever everyone is deifferent and even thought mine went succesfully doesnt mean yours will be as easy good luck and just listen to your body youll know whats right for you.
    kaszilynn88

Answer by kaszilynn88 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I have a son who is 9. I had him naturally with out an epidural. A friend of mine had it and now has a lot of back problems. Every woman handles pain differently. I am deathly afraid of needles too and rather go through the pain of labor than have that big needle. Honestly how does someone expect me to stay very still while they stick a needle in my spine while I am having contractions? Crazy right. But the deicision is up to you. I am now pregnant with my second child and I will not be getting an epidual this time around either...
    Causality

Answer by Causality at 4:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I had an epidural, it didn't work though, I felt everything. I had terrible back labor and the pain of having the needle inserted was a breath of fresh air compared to the back labor. Too bad it didn't work. I think for the next one I'll go all natural, I basically did it the first time anyway.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 4:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• God wouldn't make labor harder or more painful that you can handle. I have homebirths, no epis or anything, and I was calmly talking the whole time. When you fight your bodies natural rhythm is when you run into pain and prolems. You can have a natural birth if you want to, it's up to you.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 4:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i am with the same woman. no epidural. i had a natural homebirth. i didn't have back pain in labor. I have heard many women say they have back pain from the epidural. Many women say it is the best thing. I think everyone's experience will be difference. You can prepare a lot for childbirth, but never know what's coming. Good Luck
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i had to have one with my daughter do to a c section. I DID NOT WANT ONE. the thought of them sticking something in my back scared the crap out of me. i try to talk them out of it lol but had to get it anyway. To me it hurt but not as bad as some people told it would gettin my belly button pierced hurt more. it was little shocking pain then it was over with. i had one contraction after he was done that i could feel..
    Anonymous

• Sorry, but I had 2 epidurals and they were the best things in the world! No problems whatsoever! I highly recommend them.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I had to have one with both of my children. I was just like you and I am terrified of needles so I wasnt going to get one. But about 10 hours after my water broke and after a month of being dialated to a 2 i just wouldnt dialate anymore. They came in and said they were going to get me an epidural and prep me for a c-sec. They gave it to me at 10 am on the dot and did a cerv check at 10:05-I was at a 6! At 10:10 they came to see if I had dialated one or two more and when she lifted the blanket she just said push! I had him at 10:15 naturally with no cuts or anything it was amazing! It was the same with my daughter except that it took 20 minutes to get from a 3 to a 10 and she was here instead of 15 min from a 2 to a 10.
    So just dont jump the gun and say an absolute no. I am going in on monday to be induced with this one because I wont dialate again and the minute I get there I am asking for my epi!!!
    NinnaRenae

Answer by NinnaRenae at 4:58 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• NinnaRenae, epis DO NOT promote dilation and can actually hinder labor progression. That was a coincidence.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 5:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2008