Does the risk of the vaccine, out weigh the risk of not getting it?

The risk for the vaccine isn't that high and most side effects are rare. Honestly if you actually research and educate yourself on the vaccine it isn't that high. How many people can say they were affected by it? How many people were effected by the disease? I think parents mainly mothers scare themselves into thinking its not needed or its so horrible they let others influence there own parenting belifes. I guess don't google your information actually speak with doctors and healthcare providers that know about the stuff. Goodness just recently a so called doctor said some vaccine are linked to autism well guess what people he was discredited cause for his false statements. Some people still believe him even though he came out and said that what he stated wasn't true. How gullable are you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Health

• THere is no link to autism. The doc that published that study retracted it.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 8:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• There are children who have bad reactions to vaccines, but it is rare. Anybody can have a bad reaction to anything. My son has all of his vaccinations.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• clapping

I couldn't agree more.  There is SO much misinformation out there about vaccines, and we are a culture that lives in fear of EVERYTHING around us.  We have the luxury of having not seen the devastation these diseases have caused, and we, as a generation, take that for granted.  We are seeing an increase in pertussis (whooping cough) rates due to a lack of vaccination.  I think if some of these moms understood that their kids cannot develop "natural" immunity without getting the disease, and had some understanding of how the immune system works, they might change their minds.  Yes, all vaccines carry some risk.  But most of these risks are MUCH lower than the risks associated with getting the disease, and even the risk of being exposed to the disease.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

I think he also can't practice medicine anymore. On top of being false, his study was found to have been unethical.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• CarriePM, the DOCTOR didn't retract the article, The Lancet, the medical journal that published it, did, upon discovery that the research was done on 12 children who had hired attorneys that then sought out this doctor and paid him to connect MMR and autism. The parents were convinced there was a link. 12 subjects is not sufficient for a medical research study. But the doctor is not the one who did the retraction.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Well, it sounds like you already have your own answer to your question, but I'll give my take, too. Clearly there is a huge benefit to vaccinating against diseases that no so long ago actually killed a lot of children- polio, small pox, whooping cough, etc. On the other hand, there are a lot of new problems children face, like autism but also ADD, etc, that seem really prevalent and yet the reason they are on the rise can not be pin pointed. It is hard to ignore that fact, and while there has been no link proven that vaccines cause these problems it also can't be said what does, so it's impossible to eliminate vaccines, or even just vaccine schedules, as part of the problem. My personal research did indicate that vaccines themselves are continually proven to have a low risk of side effects, but I didn't find a lot of info about the impact of the vaccine schedule. Therefore I decided to vaccinate, but on a delayed schedule.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I realize that you are talking about all different vaccines and related to autism, but I'm just throwing in my 2 cents.....last year with the H1N1 flu we had 9 children (out of about 900) in my daycare in intensive care on ventilators d/t pneumonia from the flu and about 100 others dx with it. This year in my state it is mandatory that preK kids get the flu vaccine. Parents are balking...."I don't know what the side effects are", "I heard you get the flu if you get the vaccine"....oooooohhhhhh over and over and over and over and over and over and over....I'm answering questions, referring them back to their doctors. If your child doesn't get the vaccine because you don't want it and no other reason he/she is not returning here in January. Here's the phone number of the people who say so....Docs are even giving the vaccine to kids with egg allergy with no adverse effects (so far). Sorry, had to vent.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Mary, I think Autism and ADD/ADHD are on the rise because the doctors know what they are now, as do we.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Are you asking a question or looking for a platform to espouse your point of view? There are other places to do that...like your personal journal.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I will always vaccinate my son and any other children that I have. When I make my decisions, I don't think of just my child or myself but everyone he comes into contact with. I am around elderly and my father has MS, if he were to get the flu or chicken pox, it could very well kill him. Our decisions don't just affect our immediate family but everyone we come into contact with. The risks of the vaccines are small compared to what can happen if a diease is contracted.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2010