God bless the child that has his own

What does that mean? I've heard people use it but never could understand it.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 8:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Never heard that one before.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• If I remember correctly, it comes from the lyrics of a fairly old rhythm and blues song. It alludes to a verse in the Bible that says that those who are rich or "have" will be given more and those who are poor or "not have" will lose even what they have. Then in the song it goes on to say that "Papa may have, Mama may have, But God bless the child that's got his own".
    ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 8:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• idk what it actually means, but i always took it to mean god bless someone who is happy with what they have. i think it is from a song by billie holiday (i think). i guess it's about not worrying about what other people have and be content with what you have. then again i could be totally wrong.....lol. curious to see what others say!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• right cause the most recent time I heard that saying a cuz was telling me about this not so attractive girl and bum father having a baby...and she said God bless teh child that has it's own....I'm like is she ugly? Will she have to fend for herself? Should she be embarressed by her parents? lol
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Got me on that one
    firelites

Answer by firelites at 2:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I have no idea.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2010