Do you understand you mom more, the older you get?

I do, so much more. I cannot image my kids doing some of the things I did, I think I would freak too.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, so much more! We become more and more alike, yet are still different in some ways. But still...we are very best friends. That's one reason I want a daughter some day. I want to have with her what my mom and I have. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No. The older I get,the more i know how stupid her decisions were regarding those that affected me

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No, I will never understand why a mother would prioritize drugs over her child's needs.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No, if anything I understand her less...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• yes and no.. while there are some things that I can understand others I cannot. Like her allowing(or just not disallowing) my 17 yr old sister to date a 27 yr old man. I don't care what she said or did, she wouldn't being doing that while living in my home or with my money. She wants to do it then she could live without my support..

Anyways vent over sorry, lol

I do think that having kids and getting older lends us great insight into our parents.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• nope. my mom is an alcoholic. I still don't get her......and I'm 52.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Absolutely, In fact there are times that I call to apologize to her for the things that I did as a child. But I think I understand her more now because I am a mother rather than my age.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I do understand better why my mom was the woman she was, but I don't know that it has anything to do with my age in years. I think it has more to do with my becoming willing to "look beyond her faults and see her needs." There are events in every life that cause us to become the persons that we are and to react and respond in the ways that we do. Hopefully, my children will look at me and realize that is true in my life, as well. The sad fact is that my mom was already gone before I learned this great truth, and for that I am deeply sorrowful.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes, I do understand her better.

Answer by Bmat at 8:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes and No.

Parenting wise yes.
    The whole divorce crap and some of the childish stuff she still pulls - no.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 8:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2010