Doll's and their race...

First off I want to say I am not trying to start anything at all!!! I was in Target yesterday and I was shopping with my daughter. We were on the baby doll Aisle. There was another woman on the Aisle with her daughter who was about 4 or so who was African American. Her child picked up a doll and was begging for it. The mother took the doll from the child tossed it back onto the self and said, loudly I might add 'Put that back I'm not buying you no white baby!'. I was not offended at the time I thought it was kind of funny. The woman seemed embarrassed and apologized saying it's not what she meant. I am still not offended per say but I do wonder. Is this common? If my DD asked for a doll of any other race I would not toss it back on the self based on color. In fact she has an African American and an Asian doll at home.
Is that teaching, indirectly, intolerance? I know I am reading into it I am just curious about the psychology of it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would never say something like that to my child. When I was about 3, I was in the store with my mom and uncle. I asked for a black doll and my mom said yes. My uncle asked her if she was really going to let me get a black doll. She basically told him that of course she was, and that she would never teach me to be racist. Because, in a sense, it's setting your child up for it. My children will be allowed to have dolls of all colors.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i wouldn't tell my daughter she couldn't have the baby, but i usually try to buy babies that are the same color as us, which we are light skinned black, so mostly i try to buy the latina dolls since they make the black ones so dark most of the time. she has a couple of dark skinned ones, a couple of white ones and a kai-lan doll so that's asian i guess lol. but growing up i always preferred dolls that looked like me since i was pretending they were me or my baby lol. so i guess i do tend to buy dolls that look more like our skin tone, but i don't exclude the other dolls.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I dunno. I understand how it's teaching the wrong thing! On the other hand I can also understand why a parent would want their child to have "children" that look like them... So I guess I can see both sides... It's not something I would do, but I can't say I would look down on someone who preferred their children to have dolls that properly represent their own race either...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• my daughter is white and has had black, asian, and hispanic dolls over the years (she is now 16).
    however, I do think it is sad that the majority of the dolls are white.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 8:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes it is teaching the child the wrong values, obviously.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• not sure. i know i'd probly grab a white doll before i grab another color (with the exception of dora lol) by MY choosing, without really even thinking about it. i guess it's just natural for me to grab the same color as my dd. it might be for alot of other moms, just a natural thing to do. now, if dd asked for a specific doll and it wasn't white, i wouldn't deny her of it. it's just a doll. i teach my kids that race doesn't matter, were all equal. so why treat it differently with a doll?
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• why all of the Anon comments......... anyway i thought that it made sense to buy baby dolls the same as your race or close to it since they suppose to be your baby , i know their are children of all races and some are mixed but i belive that's where she was coming from and since the white lady was around she did'nt want her to take it the wrong way and i always wondered why they make black dolls so damn black when they are people with different shades of brown........... i don't see anything wrong with it i would have figured out real quick why she said what she said and simply forgot about it.
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 10:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would let my daughter get whichever race she wanted. And I do think that, that may be teaching them that there is something wrong w/ being another race.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I can only imagine the outcry if the tables had been turned! Our kids had dolls of every color when they were little.

Answer by scout_mom 5 minutes ago

*************************

Many, MANY white parents choose not to buy black dolls for their children. Why would there be an "outcry"? Why does everything have to boil down to racism? Many parents choose dolls that look like their children (eg-blond hair, brown curly hair, olive skin, etc). There are no racist implications.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Hmm.... thats something to think about. I don't think I would do that if I had a daughter. My sons don't really see a difference. They were playing at a playground with a few black/mixed race kids and referred to them as the brown kids. I don't believer in teaching racism in any way. I wouldn't have a problem with my kids dating women of another "race" as long as they were happy.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010