The Earth and The Universe

I let DS stay up to watch the rest of How the Earth Was Made on NGC tonight, and I'm DVR'ing The Universe for him. The shows are pretty detailed, but cover about what's in the chapter summaries of a basic earth science textbook.

For people who believe in Young Earth, do you watch shows like that just shaking your head insisting it's all a lie, or do you refuse to watch them and consider the evidence at all?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Several years ago I did some research on YEC, focusing on just a few of their theories (yes there are several conflicting views on earth age and its creation). Fascinating stuff. IMO the biggest flaw in their postulations is starting from the point of "This is what happened" to arrive at "This is how it happened." YEC doesn't even fit the requirements of theory or scientific law, each of the explanations must be taken on faith and the belief that what men wrote in the Bible is truth.

Even the few Biblical archaeologist I have come across work from the same framework. They have a position and set out to prove their position correct. when research is done from this starting point any of us can interpret the data to fit our argument.

The idea that god "planted" fossils for some unknown reason was the one that always got a chuckle out of me.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 8:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• How is teaching creation in public schools helping to further our educational standards? A "scientific law"generally accepted to be true and universal, and can sometimes be expressed in terms of a single mathematical equation. Scientific laws must be simple, true, universal, and absolute, as in the Law of Gravity, the Law of Motion, etc... A theory is what one or more hypotheses become once they have been verified and accepted to be true. A scientific theory and a scientific law are accepted to be true by the scientific community as a whole. One can be expressed simply in mathematical equations and the other has been tested and verified many times. Most people who are not well versed in Scientific Methods confuse the word Theory into something as false, when in hindsight a Scientific Theory is as valid as a Law.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• The process goes as follows
    An hypothesis is a tentative insight into the natural world; a concept that is not yet verified but that if true would explain certain facts or phenomena.
    A theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena) "theories can incorporate facts and laws and tested hypotheses"
    A law is an explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is so firmly established that it is very unlikely to be changed in the future. Ohm's law that defines the relationship between voltage, current and resistance is one example.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• "The scientific model of the age of the earth is based on inaccurate forms of dating coupled with mapping of the rock layers and the assumption that every scientific and geological process that has ever occurred, occurred in just the same way and same time frame as they happen now. The creation of a planet takes massive amounts of energy, and any idiot knows that energy makes heat, and heat speeds up the processes of both growth and decomposition. At this point in time, the creation of an entire layer of rock/earth is a very slow process, but when the earth was created that compression was much faster due to heat, meaning that a layer of earth doesn't represent as much time as scientists say it does"

Oh, well....arent YOU the scientist then. Where is your PHD? You must have went to college 12 times in order to know more than the scienists who actually study our eath & how it grew.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• "do bible thumpers ever watch this & deny it all?"

Well, this bible thumper (AKA Christian) watches all of that and I find nothing in it that scares me or threatens by beliefs. Science and religion can and do go hand in hand.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• All that crap is evolutionary theory, which they're not even supposed to teach in school but they do

and why wouldn't science be taught in schools? not supposed to according to whom?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I watch shows that present both sides of view and then draw my own conclusions. I think the idea of a young earth is interesting, but it's new enough to me that I'm not sold yet.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I have wondered this so many times NP. DH & i LOVE to watch anything on discovery or nature channels, especially if it has to do with ancient history or the universe. I always watch & ask myself "do bible thumpers ever watch this & deny it all?" I swear, i have thought that so many times. Great question!

I think most likely creationists skip it those kinds of showa because they can't handle the truth. It would just piss them off.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Neither. My religion doesn't conflict with scientific discoveries.

The Age of the Universe

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2010