my prenatals......

have all the vitamins that they prescribed me at the pharmacy.....i wonder why they did that O.o i confussled do i still have to take the iron and calcium? sorry if i sound so ignorant i dont go back to the docs till the 23rd

Lizzypuppylove

Asked by Lizzypuppylove at 9:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Call the doctor's office and ask. I didn't take prenatals because they made me really sick and I threw them up, no matter how or what I took them with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I don't understand your question. You want to know if you should take the prenatals in addition to the other vitiamins? Didn't you go over this with your OB the first time?
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Call your dr.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• no he never said anything about the extra calcium and iron,he said he was giving me folic acids and that was all
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i go to a free clinic not a real doctor btw and they close at 5:30
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Even at a clinic it should be a real doctor. You don't need a prescription for prenatals... they sell them over the counter. If your doc won't help you, ask the pharmacist.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You only need one set of vitamins. A basic prenatal vitamin will do. Unless you're anemic, all extra iron will do is make you constipated.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 9:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• @FluffyMamaBunny i kinda figured but they gave me a whole extra bottle of iron and calcium and folic acids
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It sounds like they gave you the iron, calcium, and folic acid separately to take instead of a prenatal. Prenantals have more than just those three in them though, and you will need more that just those three things. You should really ask the pharmacist or try to see a different doctor.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes, but you want to make sure if your doctor told you to take Iron to take it. I stopped taking them through my pregnancy towards the end and almost bled to death after giving birth... I was anemic and didn't know. I was very sick for a while afterward and I ended up still having to take them after pregnancy. Which sucked feeling so weak after having to breast fed and take care of my lil one. So I guess I should have just listened... Iron is very important I wouldn't mess around with it. Also my nurse practitioner said its more risky being anemic after giving birth because you can hemorrhage weeks after. Also you don't need a prescription for Prenatal. You can get them over the counter. I took a brand that had a probiotic so I didn't get constipated. The brand was called Rainbow Light. In prenatal section of your pharmacy. If you can't find it you can always take a pro-biotic on the side. Its completely safe and natural.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 9:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2010