Nintendo DS for almost 6yr old son.

My mom wants to buy my son, who will be 6 in Feb, a Nintendo DS for Christmas. Is it appropriate for a 5yr old to have? He is not too rough with toys and i think he would be fine with it. What are some oppinions of moms with children who have these?

team21

Asked by team21 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think so.. my nephew is 7 and has one as well as his 9 year old brother.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't buy any for my kids, they are pretty fragile and the price of the games are outrageous. But, thats just my opinion. If you think your son is responsible enough to take care of it and not lose the pen thingy, he might enjoy it.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My son got a DS for his 6th birthday. We let him know the rules up front and so far there has been no problems. There are plenty of games for him to choose from that he would enjoy and that are just right for his age level.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• AS long as you are okay with it then I would say yes. I know my kids love playing with them and my boys had the orginal DS when it came out and they were around that age.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My youngest son got a hand me down from his bro at 5 and he lovesit, I limit his time and there are alot of games for young kids
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 9:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• both my 7 year old and 4 year old have one. they arent allowed to play them all of the time but we travel often so they come in handy in the car. they have quite a few learning games too. you can find games starting around $15 and up new and at places like gamestop you can find them a little cheaper. just make sure he is careful when opening it the flip part can break and make the top loose.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Completely appropriate. He'll love it. My 3 boys have had them for years. They are very useful on car trips as well!
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• my ss has one and he is 6. he does really good with it!!
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 9:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I don't think kids that age need a game system. Once they have them that's all they want to do.
    Anonymous

• My kids each got a DS for their 5th and 8th birthdays. They enjoy them, although we only let them play a few times a week, like when we have our martial arts class and we want to keep them busy. I have had no issues at all with either of them losing or mistreating them. There are lots of fun, age appropriate games like puzzle games or Zhu Zhu pets or ones where you take care of animals.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2010