Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the best advice when dealing with a gambling addict? No bashing please, thank you.


Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • Addiction is a insidious disease. I think if it were someone in my life I would look for a G.Asupport group. If it were myself and I was asking this question.....I would know I needed help. Either way read the support you have gotten from your Cafe mom family.there is a wealth of love and support. Hang in sweetie we are here.


    Answer by rosetoes at 10:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • I would say, come up with a contract that says until they agree to and complete treatment and demonstrate they are "recovered" then they will not be the one in charge of the finances. That they will sign over responsibility and checks to you. That way you can protect your family from financial hardship until he decides to pursue treatment.

    good luck

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • Needs more info. Are you the addict's wife, mother, daughter, coworker, neighbor, etc.? What kind of relationship do you have with the addict?

    Answer by CarriePM at 9:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • You can NOT do anything, they have to want the help and want to change their behaviors otherwise there is nothing you can do, just like with any addiction. You can make them sign contracts, threaten, plead, cry, yell, etc but NOTHING will happen until they are ready to change. Addiction is a disease and one that is not easily cured, actually an addiction is never cured, they will always be in recovery. Contact someone that deals with addictions and talk to them. Gamblers Annonymous is another source you can contact.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • I can't answer the question totally, but I can tell you that it would be the same as dealing with any type of addiction. You cannot help by yourself, you need to seek assistance in helping this person.

    Answer by m-avi at 9:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • wife

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • well, basically with any addict they need to reach their rock bottom before they will accept help. there is nothing that you can do until that happens. so i guess what you want to do in the meantime is up to you.

    Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • contact gambler's anonymous and ask them

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • You could always have an intervention. They don't always work, so you would really have to be willing to stick to whatever you say you are going to do. For ex. I will leave you if you don't get help. And be ready to follow through if he doesn't do what you ask. You would need help organizing it. Gamblers Anonymous or even AA might be able to help you with that.

    Answer by CarriePM at 9:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • I wish you the best but gambeler's anyomous and church helps good luck.

    Answer by Betutah at 10:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2010