I'm taking a class spring semester and need to suppliment with formula...any tips?

I'll be gone two times a week for 6-7 hours at a time. By the time I start this class my son will be 6 months old.....
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to drink formula? I don't want to totally go off breastfeeding, so I just want to get him used to formula just for those two spans of time a week that I'm gone.
If I pump, how much milk do you think i'll need to pump to supply him for those hours? (6-7 hours)....
Please, don't post just to tell me not to put him on formula. I just need opinions on the specific question i've asked about...thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you can, I would try to pump extra now and freeze it for later. For the 6-7 hours, I would have 2-3 bottles for his caretaker to have on hand during this time.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• you have to try to get him on a bottle first. pump some, get someone else to give your baby the bottle with the breast milk in it. don't be in the room, and don't freak out when they're crying. don't give in and just give him the boob. when he's hungry enough, he'll eat it. you may have to warm up the breastmilk warmer than normal for him to take it.

get a bottle with a nipple that is similar to your breast. if your breast is wide, try a wide nipple. just buy one bottle at a time, some have it where you can switch between wide and narrow nipples. i used Vent Air Wide bottles, and neither of my kids had a problem with nipple confusion. but it all depends on the baby and what nipples they like best. start this early, so when he's 6 months he's used to the bottle.

at 6 months they should be eating a nice schedule, you'll know how much they'll need by then. normally they're eating every 4hrs or so, and if you pump, you'll
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• know how much he'll need to eat every feeding time. my kids were not on breastmilk anymore at 6 months. they were on formula. they ate at 8, 12, 4, and 8. at 6 months they were sleeping through the night. so i'd say send in about 4 bottles of pumped or formula, whichever you are doing. if your child is going to daycare, depending on the state (and you'll probly want to anyway) you may need back up formula. in Va, if a baby is breastfed, we have to have backup formula in case of emergency, like if there's no more breastmilk and they're hungry, momma is stuck in traffic or for some reason can't make it when she was planning to pick up, ect.

i'm working in the infant room and right now have a 9wk old breastfed. he gets 4 bottles a day, around 10, 12, 2, and 4 ISH. we close at 6 so he eats later at home. she just freezes the milk, and sends it in a cooler lunch box with ice packs.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• oh, when you're ready to introduce the formula, you can mix the breastmilk and formula together, little by little, until it's total formula and he likes it. like, if you're making a 4oz bottle, put 3oz of breastmilk, 1oz water, and a half a scoop of formula (if you get the powder, i found the powder easier and didn't go bad too fast) or 2oz breastmilk, 2oz water, 1 scoop of formula. if you're getting the already prepared stuff, you just pour the desired amount into the breastmilk until you get the 4oz bottle.

or you can just try cold turkey. some kids will surprise you and actually like it after having the breastmilk. my kids took to it just fine, going from boob to formula no problem. i had to supplement with both. GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i would mix it half and half to get him used to the taste. and if you do pump make sure there is enough for 2-3 6-8oz feedings,
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Baby needs 1 - 1.25 ounces of pumped milk per hour you're gone. So at MAX nine ounces. And he might not even take it! Many babies choose to wait and that's fine.

You NEVER need an eight ounce feeding. That's over feeding at the bottle, and that's too easy to do. 3-4 ounces in a serving, no sweat if he takes less (lots do... mine would never take more than three).

As to how to get him to take formula... let someone ELSE do it. Get samples and be ABSENT. If you're there the likelihood is that it will be refused. It MAY be refused anyway.

I'm not a fan of mixing formula and breastmilk. If it's refused you've wasted pumped milk that you worked hard to get. If that is an issue to you, but you still want to use formula, then begin as you mean to go on... straight formula no mixing. He'll take it or not. You may have to try many different kinds till you find a winner.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• One more thing to consider... it's a BIG FAT MYTH that you need to be home all the time to nurse successfully. Beyond the fact that one drop = success, the longest-term nursing moms I've known were working outside the home, full time, 40+ hours a week!

Just putting that out there in an ongoing effort to quash the "you must stay at home to breastfeed" myth.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2010