How do you let yourself become agoraphobic?

I have an anxiety disorder and for quite some time now, I have been dealing with agoraphobia... I can't leave my home without panicking... does anyone know how I allowed myself to fall this far? Anyone know how I can climb back up??

Gremlyn1980

Asked by Gremlyn1980 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Health

• Do you have a therapist that you see? I would discuss this with them and maybe set up a plan of action to take. Good Luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would suggest some therapy...behavioral modification. It's not your fault it just happens, who wouldn't want to avoid places/things that cause them stress and anxiety. I was going the same way(couldn't even go out to shop unless it was 1 am, little different then agoraphobia) Until I went through an intense 6 mth Dialectical behavioral therapy program.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You don't "let" yourself become that way. It is a mental illness.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• As pp said find a therapist and talk to someone to find out what with were best for you, Good Luck. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It happens gradually. Don't worry about how it happened. Let's work on how to fix it. Baby steps. One day open your door. One day go to your mailbox. One day step off your porch. One day to the curb. Of course, move at your own pace.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I can't tell you how you ended up this way because I am not sure how people end up with the anxieties they have. I would say talking with a therapist is the best way to try and climb back up. Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• have you spent a lot of time stuck in your home? for example....with kids, and your family only has one car and hubby takes it for work so your at home most of the time??...
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 9:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Nobody chooses that to happen. You have a severe anxiety issue that's manifested itself significantly enough to where you only feel comfortable in your own home. I also have anxiety (though not housebound). Medication has helped me a lot. Depression often goes hand in hand with anxiety and I found once I got my depression under control, the anxiety really came out. I'm just now getting it together. I think you should call a therapist that does house calls or talks to you over the phone. I'm sure there are also sites for your specific issue. Knowing you aren't alone and have a community of support is vital. Best of luck to you. There is a way out and accepting that you want to change is really 90% of the solution.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• CABlonde: Yes... I've always been "stuck" at home... I used to hate it and now I seem to prefer it although I'm miserable as hell.
    I don't see a therapist and can't because I would have to GO to one and I just can't. Leaving makes me physically sick. I'm lost, I really am... and the kids have Xmas programs this week at school, how am I gonna go?
    Gremlyn1980

Comment by Gremlyn1980 (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Look up Dilectical behavioral therapy and do some work on your own. http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/

Find some other books that deal with agoraphobia specifically.

Its going to take time and hard work and gradual progression.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:33 PM on Dec. 13, 2010