Would you lend money to a relative, knowing that other relatives might ask for loans too?

My sister has no money to get her four kids Christmas gifts. I've been collecting some toys and stuff to send to her children, but I can always send them to her so she can wrap them up and give the items from HER, not me.

I'd also like to send her a couple hundred dollars, but I don't want her to think I've got lots of cash lying around, and that she can count on me for monetary aid in the future. I've had this problem with my family before. I'll "lend" $50 to one member. Word gets around, and pretty soon another family member will call me, asking for a "loan". I'm not made of money, but I have some money saved (because I'm frugal and saving a portion of my monthly income).

How would you handle this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I would send her the toys.

I would also send her a "GIFT CARD", weather it be for WAL-MART OR INGELS?
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 12:08 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Do what is in your heart. If you do not want to give to others, don't.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Ask her not to mention it to anyone. If nobody knows, then they can't ask you. That is very generous of you, by the way.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• hell no! Ever watch Judge Judy? Don't lend money to anyone!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't. My husband gave his mother $3,000 one year. He took out a loan because she called begging and crying for money or she would get evicted. It turns out she gave half of it to his sister and got evicted anyway. We are still paying that loan off and for a few months they kept calling and asking for something else. I am about to come into a decent amount of money for my father's life insurance policies but I am keeping mum about it to my in laws.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't send cash at all. I love that you are sending toys that she can give her kids "from her". If you also want to help with food or things, send her a gift card to her local Wal-mart , Target, etc. If you don't want anybody thinking you have extra money, just say it was a gift from somebody to you and you felt she needed it more.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Well i understand that is though you could help but make sure you never give money that could pay your bills . Take care of you first then help but just tell the other family that something came up . Your money is your business but your sister will have to get on a busget like you are.Does she have man if so he should be paying.Good luck.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 10:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• We have, several times and every time it bites in the butt. If you want to give your family money that's one thing, but don't loan it to them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No. It always causes problems and in our family, the person always continues to have problems with money.
    MotherAndMore

Answer by MotherAndMore at 10:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• my hubby sends his parents money all the time! and its not like we have a lot to spare! mom called 2 months ago and the car broke down so she needs $800, then 2 weeks later they cant pay the electric bill she needs $200, now she is out of money for smokes she needs $40! oh and his sis called yesterday her fridge broke she needs $100!! HELLO!!! WE DONT HAVE A MONEY TREE HERE!!! but i cant say anything since its his family and he will do wat he wants! *rolls eyes*
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2010