Nursing Strike?

I think lo is doing this. She is coming on and off my breast crying. She won't latch at all. Help!

oh and she is 5 months old. Breast fed from birth.

SxyMartini

Asked by SxyMartini at 10:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not everyone can pump out as much as she truly produces.

Is she teething or do her ears seem to be bothering her? Is she taking any of the expressed milk?

Nursing strikes are not fun for mother or baby. I would watch her wet diapers to make sure that she is not getting dehydrated. And keep offering her your breast whenever she acts hungry.

I would also check out kellymom.com they are a great resource

I had 2 who were dairy sensitive with moderate to severe reflux. And one of then did 2 nursing strikes. He eventually went back, but it was the longest 3 days of my life at that point.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:33 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Are you producing milk? Can you express any? If she is unable to get milk, that could explain it. Or it might have a funny taste, such as you eating spicy foods or something she can taste in your milk.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would pump for 10 mins after each feeding to increase your milk supply! Make sure you're feeding her in a quite room free of distractions. Are you feeling a let down? This may sound weird, but I would visualize a waterfall or something along those lines, to help my milk let down. It helped. Offer the breast as much as possible and keep pumping!! Good luck!!
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I just stopped all caffeine and dairy cause she was very gassy and spitting up a lot. She seems better in those departments. But this morning wouldn't latch on. I have been pumping but only getting 2 oz or 3 oz per session. That is not enough for her.

Am I doing something wrong?
    SxyMartini

Comment by SxyMartini (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yea I believe she is teething. She is drinking all of the expressed milk. I called it a nursing strike because babies that young don't self wean right? How can I tell if I don't have low milk supply?
    SxyMartini

Comment by SxyMartini (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes feeling a let down when she latches normally.
    SxyMartini

Comment by SxyMartini (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Are you trying to feed in an uninteresting area? A lot of times at that age they are seeing all new things and don't stay focused for the feeding. Another thought would be thrush? Does baby have white spots in her mouth that won't wipe away? My final thought would be nipple confusion and her preferring the bottle to the breast.

You can tell if you have a low supply by baby's output. Is she wetting diapers? Is she gaining weight?

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 1:08 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• OK so at 2 am she woke me for a feed and wouldn't latch again. I tried for about 30 mins :-(. I ended up having to give her formula cause I am only pumping 2 oz right now. When she woke again this morning she ate on my breast no problem. I did notice her starting to tug on her right ear.

She is gaining well and no white spots that I can see. Normal wet diapers. I change her before each feed and always is wet.
    SxyMartini

Comment by SxyMartini (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I would go to the doctor to check on an ear infection since you are saying she is pulling on her ear. It does not sound like supply is the problem. Normal wet diapers, normal growth = perfect supply for your baby If the bottle is a new thing for her it very well could be nipple confusion. Good Luck! I am sure things will get better real soon.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 3:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2010