Fear of Failure.

I want to start a business but I talk myself out of it every time. I know there's things to think about like a need/want and demand....expenses, and if my talent can compete. If I did fail, it wouldn't be a big deal as the initial investment is close to nothing.....but there's something holding me back....maybe self esteem? Lack of support? I don't know why I need to rely on others reassurance of what I'm doing and how I do things.
Will someone give me some insight and/or direction?
Just so you know, the business I'd like to start is floral services out of my home. My mom has arranged flowers for weddings, funerals, proms, and special occasions/holidays all of her life because her mother did it, and all my life i've helped my mother. I have talent, but I feel like I depend on others to tell me I have talent for me to believe in myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Go for it! Then be sure to share your success story to encourage others.
    Take the leap.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 1:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think Brittany Renee says it best-

“I would much rather have regrets about not doing what people said, than regretting not doing what my heart led me to and wondering what life had been like if I'd just been myself.”

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I say go for it. When the business takes off, that should be enough to feed your self-esteem. Good luck
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• go a head and do your business i think its good to overcome your fear now or you will never achieve any of your hopes and dreams
    kimmy77

Answer by kimmy77 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• im the exact same way...im a trained social worker and have always dreamed of writing for a grant to start my own center for pregnant single women, specificall pregnant teens. thers tons of federal and state money for it and it would cost me nothing personally, but im so afraid to try. i even have experience as a pregnant teen and tons of social worker friend that could help. i dont have any good advice because i dont know what to do myself, but know that you're not alone. i think you should go for it though. whats the worst that could happen?
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I think it's a wonderful idea, especially since you have experience and your family has done it. You'll never know 'til you do it.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 10:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You are the only one that can put limitations like this on yourself. You did say that you know you have talent...it's time to believe it! The best way to get over these feelings is to constantly work on yourself through personal growth. Listening to motivational/inspirational speakers like Dani Johnson, Brian Tracey, Jeffrey Combs etc. will help you. Usually if you go to their websites they will have a free newsletter or free downloads to listen to audios. They help you think outside the box and remove those limiting beliefs.
    RozPearcy

Answer by RozPearcy at 9:57 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• The truth is, it will kill your business if you fear, there is a universal law called" the law of attraction" if you give your time to what you fear, it will come true.

Time will not cure it by starting the business, you can cure it with your thoughts. I have actually started blogging about how to do that. There is also a service by a very successful who helps people like you, http://www.youareaceo.com/success4me

Things dont just go away. Yu have to work at them and set your own success up.

Wishing you the best.

Emma Weekly

HomeCareerSuccess.com

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:21 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I won't lie to you, starting a new business is scary and it poses many challenges. You need to work hard, very hard. My best advice to you is to educate yourself. Read as much as you can about the floral business, about running a business, about marketing then set up your business. Once it's up and running, start networking and advertising and never stop working.

If you don't have the support you need offline, I invite you to join my Cafemom business networking and support group Mommy Movers & Shakers.

HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Start by writing your business plan, and see how you feel.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010