placental encapsulation (did i do this right)

I encapsulated my own placenta, but I worry if I did o.k. and if they are safe to take?..lol.

Had my baby at 7:31 p.m. on friday december 10th.

We couldnt refrigerate it at the hospital, so we had it put in a sterile tupperware and we left it out in the car over night (it was around 35 - 40 degrees). Early in the morning my hubby ran it home and put it in fridge. Last night (about 48 hours later) I took it out.. it looked healthy and red, and I rinsed it with cold water and 'bled' it with a few punctures with a knife. Then I cut the cord off and steamed it (the placenta not the cord), 15 minutes each side, with ginger and lemon water. After ward I cut it into thin slices and used the dehydrator to "cook" it for 8 hours. It was crisp jerky by the time it was done. This was about 330 in the morning. I turned off the dehydrator and just left the strips in there until morning, then I transfered them into a tupperware. I want able to grind them up until about noonish. After that I put the grinds in the fridge, and they have stayed there since. I am planning on putting them in capsules while I sit and watch a movie tonight.

Do you think that I should have not let it be in the car? Did I do wrong by not getting it ground up and in capsules right away? I really want to start taking them tonight, but I want to make sure I didnt do something that could possibly make them 'bad'.. kwim?

thanx for any input!

VelvetCat

Asked by VelvetCat at 10:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Just ummm wondering...why?
    Anonymous

• im a bit perplexed myself-i mean i know about saving cord blood, but placenta? not bashing, i just think most of us are new to this thought...
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Oh, it is to help with PPD, breast milk production, and over all healing after birth. This is my third baby and a friend introduced the idea... I suffered bad PPD after my last child, so i am hoping this can help so I can stay off medication while BF-ing.
    VelvetCat

Comment by VelvetCat (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• There is a website that answers a lot of these questions, and also has a list of people who are certified to do it--you could probably contact one of them and ask if it was ok. I would think it would be ok in your car because most refrigerators are set to ~40 degrees so if it was colder than that, you're good. But always good to double check :)

Here's one website I found, if you google it, you'll find a bunch more...
    http://placentabenefits.info/services.asp

The placenta contains hormones that can help with postpartum depression, fatigue, and stimulating breastmilk production.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• oh, ok it makes more sense now-wow, its so amazing all things that modern medicine has evolved into!
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• As long as it was cold enough outside in the car I wouldn't worry about it (it would be like it was in a fridge)
    I have never done it before but from reading your account it sounds about right. It's totally fine to leave a day before putting it into the capsules. Once it's been dehydrated you are good to go!
    Hope it works for you..let me know :)
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 10:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Not bashing but wow! I have to say this one toook me by suprise but to each there own and gl. I hope it helps!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 10:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yeah it took me awhile to wrap my head around, but i think its awesome now since i did it. I cant wait to see if i works.
    VelvetCat

Comment by VelvetCat (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• PLease let me know if it works I have a while but would love to avoid the bad fatigue since I have a 2 year old and then having another baby
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 10:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• As far as I know, everyone I know personally that has done this it has worked VERY WELL> I say go for it. there are services that do this for you if you dont want to, but I thought doing it myself was a very awesome and personal experience.
    VelvetCat

Comment by VelvetCat (original poster) at 10:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2010