• In the Spotlight:

Teeth whitening?

My teeth are turning yellow (probably from all the pop I drink) and I am curious about the procedures used in the dentists office for teeth whitening. How is it done? How long will it last? Do I need to have it done again later? How much will it cost (ballpark)?

I'd like personal experiences...

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• Crest Night Effects (the paste you put on your teeth at night) works really well. It feels really weird, and you'll ruin a toothbrush trying to get all the goo off your teeth in the morning, but it worked really well! Other things you can do... drink your soda from a straw, use 2 brands of toothpaste (one in the morning, one at night) and also floss. I know flossing sucks, but it really does help.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Have you tried any at home products? I found one on eBay (believe it or not) it was only $50 and it worked!!! I'd say to try something like that first to see if it can save you some $$. You may be surprised|! Good luck@
    krysten78

Answer by krysten78 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I like to use the Crest brand you buy at WalMart. It works just as well as the dentist but is way cheaper. Granted it takes about a week before you see results. But it works really well. Use it with a whitening toothpaste and you're good to go!
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I have never had my teeth personally whitened but the store brands will eat at you tooth enamel. Try making a baking soda paste just water and baking soda you will be amazed at the improvement in a week.
    tandvjung

Answer by tandvjung at 11:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I've never had my teeth whitened either, but the crest vivid white works wonders. It takes a few days ( maybe 4-5) but it works. Save some money on the dentist and try a better toothpaste. and store bought whitening trays do eat at your enamel and I believe thats what made my gums soft.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 11:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• DH had stuff giving to him by our Dentist. It cost around $300. The dentist took a mold of his teeth to make teeth trays and then gave him some gel type solution to place in the trays. It last for a while. I don't know how long, but he had to do the whiten every night for about 2 weeks.

Now a days if Hubby feels that he needs something he just gets the crest whitening strips...although daily he rinses with the Listerine whiting mouthwash....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My dentist charges $200 for an in office whitening. If he makes the trays and then gives you the stuff to do at home its more. The in office lasts about 6 months they say.
    When my son was getting ready for Sr pictures we bought the Remington trays and gel. It wasnt to high less than 40 if I remember right and it made a huge difference for him
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I had the Zoom treatment over a year ago and it worked great! It's expensive, but people are STILL saying things like, "Wow, you have really nice teeth!" I don't, they're incredibly crooked, but the whitening improved SO much. I didn't get the follow-up trays for at home, and they're still amazing! It DID hurt, a LOT, but most people feeling nothing. Depends on your teeth, I guess.

I've also used NightEffects and WhiteStrips. There was a noticable difference with them, but it only goes so far...and they made my teeth sensitive for a lot longer than the Zoom did.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I like crest whitening BUT!..be careful how much you use it..it can weaken the enamel on your teeth if it is used too much and then you'll be in for discomfort from sensitive teeth! I would advise you to see your dentist!
    kwazylisa

Answer by kwazylisa at 7:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I did Zoom a few years ago. It actually hurt. There are things called "zingers" that shoot little flashes of pain in your teeth. I wasn't prepared for that. I always think my teeth are yellow, but they aren't. They just aren't that fake "white" we see on celebrities. I'd try the home stuff now. Also, drink your pop from a straw. It helps. I am addicted to Diet Coke and rarely drink without a straw.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2008