The "Tebow rule" does that go against the 1st amendment?

The NCAA's Football Rules Committee is proposing a ban on Tebow's most identifiable feature — the bible verses on his eye black. The new proposal, introduced Thursday, would ban all words, logos, numbers or other symbols on the players' eye black, beginning in the 2010 season

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/gators/ncaa-trying-to-ban-messages-on-eye-black-232356.html

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law "respecting an establishment of religion", impeding the free exercise of religion, infringing on the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment has been interpreted by the Supreme Court as erecting a separation of church and state.[1]

Originally, the First Amendment only applied to laws enacted by the Congress. However, starting with Gitlow v. New York, 268 U.S. 652 (1925), the Supreme Court held that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment applies the First Amendment to each state, including any local government.

madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I really don't see a need for the ban...
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Doesn't mention tat's on your eyes lol
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• God Bless Tebow for taking a stand on something he believes in

if everyone did that the world would be a better place
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I think some moron probably went crazy about how offended they were by the scriptures and they were forced to ban it or run the risk of the same moron making making more trouble for them.
    bbbrussell20

Answer by bbbrussell20 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• The NCAA is a private organization. They can make any rules they want for their members. If the students don't like it, they don't have to participate. It's like the Boy Scouts. They can keep gay kids and adults from being members. Don't like it? Go join something else.
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i understand where the NCAA is coming from...if they allow positive messages on eye black they have to allow negative ones too & that was becoming a problem (according to the article). if they make it illegal to have ANYTHING on eye black than it covers their butts. can you imagine the uproar if a player put something obscene on his eye black & it was shown on TV...it would be the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" crap all over again. the possible rule isnt being made b/c of Tebow's use of scripture, they are unofficially using his name b/c he made it popular.

players cant put whatever they want on their jerseys, so is that taking away their 1st amendment rights? of course not. i mean take Bengals player Chad Ochocinco for instance. he legally changed his last name just to get his number (85) written out (incorrectly) in Spanish on the back of his jersey b/c the NFL wouldnt do so otherwise
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Well that's because Ocho Cinco es el pollo LOCO!
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• "Well that's because Ocho Cinco es el pollo LOCO!"

haha true! true!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I really don't care what some moronic jock puts on his face. And just so we're clear, I'm of the opinion that the majority of jocks are morons. Take for example, Chad "Ochocinco" I mean could he really not remember his last name or his uniform number so he had to change his name to match it? It's just as bad as the people who get vanity plates for their cars with their names on them. Really? Do you seriously not know the make or model of your car that you had to put your name on it so you can find it?

AS for the case of Tebow, I don't understand the bible passages and how they pertain to football but if he wants to tattoo it across his forehead then so be it. (I'd like to see the NCAA try to ban that one LOL), I don't care one way or another. The only time I ever sat and watched a football game was when I was in the band and had to be there.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2010