Do people really get offended by this?

When people say Xmas instead of Christmas?

Skepticchick

Asked by Skepticchick at 10:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Holidays

• ok everyone has their own opinions!! it may offend some of you and it may not but no matter what we stick to what we believe in right? so my question is why are some of you getting bent out of shape just because someone said they dont see what the big deal is? how about everyone stop worrying about what the correct/incorrect way is....who cares? just stick to what YOU believe,even if people say something you dont agree with.....christmas,xmas its the same thing!! some of you dont see that but alot of you do.....stop worrying about it......so Skepticchick,the answer to you question is obviously YES,people do get offended by the word xmas.....idk why but everyone has their own opinions.....i would have asked the same question.......
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 12:22 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I know some people get offended, but I also read a debate not too long ago about how X in greek meant like Christas or something so technically it was correct.

Either way, I am a christian and I do recognize it as the birth of Jesus. I think it's stupid to make a big deal of it though.
    bbbrussell20

Answer by bbbrussell20 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Haha, yeah I'm so offended I'm going to go write a very bitchy status update on Facebook.

I have no idea why, but yeah I've personally seen/heard of people getting offended by it. Like seriously, you've got nothing better to care about? (not you personally!!!)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes, it offends me. Christ is the reason for the season for me, and when you substitute an X for Christ in Christmas I feel that you are disrespecting my Christianity. You wouldn't substitute X for Buddha, or X for Allah, why would you substitute X for Christ? Instead of saying Happy Hanukah, do you say Happy X day to you too! No, of course not. I think that your substitution of X for Christ shows how lazy and unclassy you really are.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Didn't you all hear? There is a WAR on Christmas. LOL
    MotherAndMore

Answer by MotherAndMore at 10:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• some do , but it don't bother me but Merry Christmas ........but i never say Happy Holiday
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 10:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• "Yes, it offends me. Christ is the reason for the season for me, and when you substitute an X for Christ in Christmas I feel that you are disrespecting my Christianity. You wouldn't substitute X for Buddha, or X for Allah, why would you substitute X for Christ? Instead of saying Happy Hanukah, do you say Happy X day to you too! No, of course not. I think that your substitution of X for Christ shows how lazy and unclassy you really are."

That's what my mother used to say too. 

Anymore, I don't say anything.  I just keep my mouth shut and nob my head.... that can't be misconstrued, can it??

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I'm a christian and no, I'm not personally offended by it. I just don't believe in "majoring in minors." As long as Christ is recognized, in whatever language or abbreviation you choose, I think HE will understand and appreciate the recognition.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I asked a similar question the other day and was real surprised at how some really got angry over this. I'm a Christian and I don't take offense to it. Does anyone out there really think Christ is going to take offense at well meaning folks wishing someone a Merry X-mas, especially with all the hatred, war, depression in the world, I don't think so. So, MERRY X-MAS everyone!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• : D I've heard people get offended and I always thought sometimes it was just an easy quick way to say christmas. Maybe it's just me living in Utah that it's more common.
    Skepticchick

Comment by Skepticchick (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2010