Dog won't poop when in kennel

She came home after three nights at the vets and was whimpering. She pooped three huge piles. I don't know how she held it. We have to leave her again at Christmas.
Should I see if the vet will give her something? Maybe a suppository?

MotherAndMore

Asked by MotherAndMore at 11:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Pets

• They don't poop where they sleep. They will have to walk her out of the cage... you may have to pay extra for it. We have to pay extra for them to walk our dog.... but it's SO worth it!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Dogs don't poop (at least they train themselves not to) in the same place they sleep. That's why some dogs are "kennel trained" They hold it until they are taken out.

As far as going days, maybe 1 day is normal, but days... I dont know..
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yep, she's technically crate trained. She will hold it in unless taken outside. Keeping her in a crate that long seems kind of mean.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I don't know what kind of vet previous poster has, but our vet won't just leave a dog cooped up in a kennel without potty walks!! That's not even healthy. And, you shouldn't have to pay EXTRA for it. That's ridiculous! If I found out a vet treated animals this way, I'd turn them in for animal cruelty! I don't kennel my dog at the vet because we have a WONDERFUL kennel nearby that is reasonably priced, clean and takes the dogs out several times a day to play and go potty. Maybe research the kennels in your area. Visit them and look at their pet accommodations to see if they are up to your standards.

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• These days most places, whether it is vet or other, do charge for the walks, playtime, brushing..etc. because they can. Everything is a la carte and you are nickel and dimed to death. The bigger problem is that a lot of pet businesses do not necessarily follow through on the services that you paid for. You should drop in without an appointment and be able to have a kennel tour.

Your dog clearly was not comfortable pooping in her kennel (Good dog!) or perhaps they only have cement outdoors for the potty area too, which many dogs won't use. Talk to the vet's office about this, or find a different kennel.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• specialwingz - the indoor outdoor type kennel... part is indoors and part is out... it's like a big cage. But there is no dirt or grass so our dog won't go there like some dogs. So yes we pay extra to have our dog actually walked. It's very standard practice... we shopped around and it was the same everywhere around here.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• they SAY she is let out 4 times a day into the grassy yard to go by herself. We have tried two other kennels, not vetrelated, and she was cold when we got her.
    MotherAndMore

Comment by MotherAndMore (original poster) at 5:12 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• spk to your vet
    san78

Answer by san78 at 8:04 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We board our 2 dogs at the vet when we go on vacation. During the day, the dogs are in outdoor "runs" that are about 4' x 16' (each dog "family" has their own). Our dogs have been crate/kennel trained, too, so they will not potty when they are in the indoor kennels at the vet.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Crafty-I am counting my blessings, then! We did do drop in tours of kennels. Saw some things I wouldn't submit my worst enemy to (well, maybe my ex, LOL). The place we use is AWESOME!! This one believes that peeing, pooping & play time MUST be in a dog's daily routine. Of course, there are extras you can pay for like pool time, extra play sessions, grooming etc. But, bodily needs & exercise are in the standard package for this place. We used this kennel when we went on a 2-week cruise for my DD's wedding. I had never boarded my dog before. So, I was impressed. I can understand there are some not-so-great places out there. I just didn't figure they were the norm.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:24 AM on Dec. 14, 2010