Cam Newton wins Heisman, mother attends, father does not. Would you have done the same if you were Cam's father?

Cecil Newton’s statement says:

“The events to take place in New York at the Heisman Trophy ceremony this weekend will serve as a crowning moment for the athletes and their families alike.

“For all of my fifty years of life, coupled with 25 years of marriage, I have made an exhausting attempt to be a good husband, father, and generally a good person of integrity. The past 60 days have caused all that my family worked to accomplish to come into question.”

“So that my son Cam Newton can receive all the honors and congratulations that he has worked so hard to accomplish and without distraction, I have decided not to be in attendance at the Heisman ceremony, as it will perhaps rob Cam and the event of a sacred moment.”

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't get it.... who is "Cecil Newton" and why will attending his sons Heisman ceremony do any harm?? What am I missing here??

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Considering he almost cost Cam's future in football career by trying to sell his son to the highest bidder for the NFL league, it was probably in the best interest of Cam that he didn't attend.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Wow this is a messed up story.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• don't get it.... who is "Cecil Newton" and why will attending his sons Heisman ceremony do any harm?? What am I missing here??

Answer by Crafty26

Sorry I think that the Daddy was possibly trying to set up some money deals while the boy was still in college. Its been all over the news.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• He should be thanking his lucky stars he didn't derail his son's chances of making it

He did the right thing here though

Hope Father & Son are OK

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• His dad caused enough grief, I agree with his decision not to attend.
    Justmom223

Answer by Justmom223 at 6:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I agree with his decision. It was his son's moment and his presence would have caused a distraction. His own behavior caused it so he finally did the right thing and put his son's interest first
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:09 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I'm not really feeling it. How is this political?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

Answer by itsmesteph11

The catergory is politics and CURRENT EVENTS
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2010