Why do people get so bent out of shape about "taking the 'Christ' out of Christmas"?

Just thinking about the song about the boy in the mall who says, "Where's the line to see Jesus? Is He here at the mall? If Christmastime is His birthday, why don't we see Him more?..."

Don't get me wrong. I'm a Christian and I love this opportunity to remember and be grateful for what Christ did. Personally, I don't get into the commercialism, and our family doesn't do Santa. I want my children to grow up seeing Christmas as a time to give to needy, not all about getting presents. That's my choice.

HOWEVER, we Christians "converted" Christmas from a pagan holiday to suit our purposes, and then some act like everyone should celebrate it the way we do. Since December 25 never was His birthday, and He obviously didn't expect us to remember His birthday or He would have told us when it was, I hardly think He's going to be offended because some people are more interested in Santa than in the nativity.

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 11:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Holidays

• I have no idea why people get so worked up about it. It's a time to be happy and spend time with family whatever your traditions--whether you celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday, in a pagan or a secular way, or a little of all of it OR if you celebrate other holidays around the winter solstice and throughout December. Thank you for attempting to post something positive on this topic. I'm tired of seeing the complaints. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you! :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• popcorn

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Its really only Christians getting bent about it. I think anyone that wants to celebrate Christmas should, no matter if they believe in a certain faith or have no beliefs. It's a joyous time of year for loads of people no matter their spirituality and people should be able to celebrate as they wish, whether it be religiously, or with some fat jolly guy in a red suit handing out presents.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• People are so petty! Others just need to mind their own business for sure! If they want to say/type/write Christmas, great! If somebody else want so to say/type/write Xmas, great! Why do people give a shit!
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• There's not actually any proof that it was the day Jesus was born anyway, and IMO, if you're a Christian etc., I think you should celebrate him every day equally.
    PinkDiamond717

Answer by PinkDiamond717 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I agree, there are so many different customs and traditions during the holiday season, its ridiculous to assume that only one is "appropriate" or "acceptable". :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Christmas would have been a holiday whether it was celebrated during the pagan holiday or not. The whole point of it is to celebrate his birth. Do you know his exact birthday? No one does. It is a symbolic celebration, whether it is in Spring or Winter, but it is still about HIM. So yeah, I think he is probably sad how he is overshadowed by Santa and commercialism in general.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I say celebrate it for whatever reason you want and don't be so technical about everything. :)

To each their own. I know it's one of those cheesy little sayings, but it fits.

PinkDiamond717

Answer by PinkDiamond717 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I do understand what you are saying. Christmas is supposed to be about Jesus. But in todays society, Santa is shown widely across the world and I do know that it has become too commercial. I don't think that Christmas is all about gifts, it's also about the family spending time together and reminiscing about the past and what's to come. Whether someone is getting married, having a baby, or anything else you can think of, it's about spending time together. Although we've cut down on the gifts in our family over the years, I try to give something to those who are less fortunate than us. Giving to me is more important than receiving. To me that is the true meaning of Christmas.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:08 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Good for you for knowing your history and understanding how arbitrary a nativity scene is in a religious context. If Christians put as much energy into doing good and getting their own affairs in order as they do to trite phrases about "putting Christ back in Christmas" and anger at people who don't, they'd do a lot of good. Cool, that you understand to celebrate your faith outside the context of the crowd.

And cool that you accept me, a former Christian, who still celebrates Christmas through gift-giving and charitable-giving, because I would like to share the "magic of the season" and the general spirit of generosity with my daughter.

Kudos!
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 14, 2010