breastfeeding is hurting me

i have HPA LANOLIN but i dont think its working any advise i would love it

twimommy

Asked by twimommy at 11:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try using a nipple shield. It is a soft silicone thing that goes over your nipple, you can buy them at target, BRU, or any lactation boutique. It helps your nipples not be so sore. if you can, get some help from a lactation consultant.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Don't quit. It will get easier. Try olive oil. Try cool tea bags on your nipples. Let your nipples air dry. Most important, make sure baby is latched on properly.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Be sure the baby is latching on properly. Sometimes, if they are mostly just nursing on the tip of the breast, and not the full nipple (into the areola) it can hurt more. But for some of us, it's just gonna hurt for awhile. I did for me...with both kids. But, after about a week (of real misery) it stopped hurting. Then, nursing was a real pleasure.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 11:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Latching properly is a big key. Other than that you just have to push throught the discomfort. I had cracking problems. I tried all the creams and such. My grandmother told me "Hogwash! Put some of your breast milk on the nipple and let it air dry" I did and they were healed in 3 days. Grandma was one smart cookie.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• yes plz don t quiet. use the nipple shield as she said that s what i used at first then the baby will learn and get used to latching on.plz don t give up it a wonderful experience pr moms to bond w/ their babies besides the important of breastmilk for the babies.GL
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 11:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• it could be the latch, also i suggest u contact la leche legue. dont quit bm is the best gift u can gift your baby
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It's probably due to a poor latch... if it hurts then take your baby off the breast and have them try again... allowing a bad latch will only cause more pain and more damage.
    My son had a TERRIBLE latch... caused toe curling pain!!
    I found a picture similar to this one very helpful in correcting my son's latch... make sure your nipple is pointing at your baby's nose when they latch
    http://www.llli.org/images/LVFebMar04lv-latch-11.jpg

Once they are on, check lip placement... make sure the bottom lip is out and not tucked in.
    If you continue to have a lot of pain have your pediatrician check you baby's tongue to make sure they aren't tongue tied.
    I would also try to contact a lactation specialist and see if she can help you
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:27 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• All of the suggestions above are very helpful, the ones that I found to be most effective are: let your nipples air dry for a few minutes after you nurse whenever possible, check your latch, change positions, use disposable breast pads (the washable ones always make me more sore), try thera shells (they can be found anywhere you get nursing supplies, it's a shell that goes in your bra and keeps pressure off your nipple and lets air in so it heals super quick), keep using the lanolin a couple times a day, and get fitted for bras to make sure you aren't wearing one that isn't fitting right. Also, don't unlatch your LO, let the baby unlatch on their own. If you have to unlatch the baby, use your pinky between LO's gums to break the suction first. GL, and lactation consultants are very helpful, and since babies are born all hours of the day and night most hospitals will have one on staff 24/7.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:48 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Don't use the nipple shield until you're sure you need it, see an IBCLC or LLL leader to help determine what is wrong. Using a nipple shield should be done under the supervision of an IBCLC whenever possible. I like Motherlove brand nipple cream. Def. get your latch evaluated. How old is baby?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2010