why?

i just answered a question regarding "looking down on mothers if they smoke". i was utterly outraged to say the least,ragarding some peoples comments on the subject..some people openly admit that they "judge" any mother who smokes pregnant or not!! who the hell do you mothers think you are???.i am a mother,pregnant and yes i smoke! you have never walked a day in my shoes but yet you think you think you can judge me? just because mothers smoke doesnt mean we cant care for our kids...i can quite happily say that my kids are well looked after,have respect for me and everyone else,i dont tolerate my kids ruling the household,my kids do as they are told,they never go without anything,they are healthy and happy and the opinions from some people are not valid!!!

i understand that smoking while pregnant can cause fetal growth problems etc,and yes i have had 2 small babies but i tried my hardest to stop smoking while pregnant but i failed....time and time again.....i dont smoke in front of my kids but yes i smoked while pregnant...i dont judge anyone who does things they shouldnt unless you can see clearly that the child is suffering because of it......my kids dont get fed sweets,fizzy drinks..they have perfect teeth and everyone always has a compliment regarding my skills as a mother so to all those mothers who judge smoking parents...get a grip!! i bet your lives arent that bloody perfect! i bet you have did things that your not proud of so before you judge anyone else,take a look at your own lives and maybe make sum changes,starting with your attitudes....just because you dont agree with someone doing something,doesnt make them a bad person!

i have worked with kids for 10 years and have did a great job healping mums and dads practically raise their children.giving advice and being there for them...just because i smoke doesnt mean i have no brain cells!!!!

sorry for the outburst but i had to get that off my chest!!!

glasgowmummy

Asked by glasgowmummy at 11:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Health

• u tell them girl i am right there with you
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 11:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Nobody says smoking means you have no brain cells. It's one stupid behavior, doesn't make everything else you do stupid. But yes, smoking during pregnancy is WRONG. It can do more damage to babies than just low birth weight. Smoking during pregnancy is knowingly and willingly endangering the health of your baby. That's all there is to it. You can get mad at people judging all you want, but it's common knowledge. Anyone can stop smoking if they really want to. My MIL smoked for over 30 years, but quit when we had a baby because she didn't want to be smoking around her. If you were as good of a mother as you say you are, you would do whatever it takes to ensure the health and safety of your unborn child. Sounds like you're really ranting out of guilt, IMO.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I still think women shouldn't smoke while pregnant, but I agree with you on the judging part. Just because they smoke doesn't automatically make them a bad mother.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:04 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• *fluffymamabunny* there is no guilt on my part im just sick to the back teeth of ppl judging parents who smoke full stop! it has absoloutly nothing to do with ppl what other ppl do...maybe here in scotland ppl see things differently but since joining this website i have read nothing but negative things from ppl...are the americans so much better than the british? do the americans do nothing wrong??
    and yes i will get mad at people judging smokers and thats exactly what i am doing...and yes i am as a good as a mother as i say i am but just because i smoke doesnt mean i lack in common knowledge regarding the effects in it.....hence the reason i wrote small birth weight ETC....i dont feel guilty about trying to stop and failing..again,no1 knows about my life so therefore noone knows why i smoke in the 1st place so therefore noone should judge FULL STOP
    glasgowmummy

Comment by glasgowmummy (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• you tell em! i think that people should just mind their own business. i had a friend who was pregnant and tried to quit but she wasnt able too. she knew the consequences and i never judged i feel that everyone will do what they want anyways!
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 12:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Wow ! I wish I had the nerve to do that. I completely agree with you. You just got bumped !! lol
    megamamaw

Answer by megamamaw at 8:42 AM on Dec. 14, 2010