When do you tell your kids that Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth fairy..etc isn't real?

I'm just curious when a proper age is. I learned early on on my own. I just remember in 10th grade when I said something about Santa being fake to a girl she flipped out. Ran out of the class room. I guess she went home and asked her mom and the mother called the school and I got in trouble for yelling a 16 year santa wasn't real. No she wasn't speical ed, we didn't have those classes in my high school. She never talked to me after that.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it is something you should let them figure out on their own. I was 12 when I figured it out. Insane right? The only thing I can figure is that my older siblings played along and didn't tell and my friends and I never discussed it. I also think that I was rather naive.

But I really think that parents should let kids figure it out on their own.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:05 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I told my son when he started questioning it. I created the lie when he was young and innocent and he has a lot of great memories, but when he really questioned it I wasn't going to keep on lying and trying to convince him. He was 6 or 7?
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yeah, girl, don't stress about it. Trust me, kids these days are too smart NOT to figure it out sooner than we did. Let them be kids as long as they can. My girls are in their twenties and I don't ever remember telling them they are NOT real... I think they figured that out all on their own... WITH NO MENTAL ABNORMALTIES, I might add. LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:02 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We've told our children from the beginning. I didn't want a situation where a child, attempting to be mean, told them and had them all upset at school. We just started out telling them that they were stories.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 12:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I think its funny how kids thought the world was over when they found out Santa wasnt real and they thought their parents had lied, well I "believed" in santa long after I knew the truth.. When you know the truth, Santa stops visiting you haha
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I have never said to my kids that Santa wasn't real. My Mother has never said it to me either. We never did the Easter Bunny or tooth fairy deal. My granddaughter was grossed out the first time she heard the tooth fairy one "eeeeewww...what would you do with old teeth, GROSS!"..LOL
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I never told my kids, I let them figure it out on their own. I think it's a part of growing up.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:19 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My mother told us the same thing that when you stopped believing in santa he stopped believing in you and no longer came. my youngest brother kept saying he believed in santa till he was well into his teens, We all knew he really didn't but he said it for my mom so that she wouldn't feel to upset about her last baby growing up. But as for my children I will let them believe until they are ready to not believe. I am big on using your imagination and letting them experience the magic and wonder of being a kid. Ultimately it is up to the parent on how to handle this situation.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Let them figure it out....a good way to not have worry about this is to tell the the true meaning behind all teh holidays not some made up version of what makes people happy
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I Never told my kids-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:46 AM on Dec. 14, 2010