Mommy can't be everywhere...

My two and half year old has to have her tonsils out. She just had her adenoids out and ear tubes put in last year. They will check to see if the adenoids have grown back. She's having the same symptoms- snorty breathing at night. She sounds clogged. She has to stay overnight because she's little. The problem is that I am nursing my 7 month old, too, and she will sometimes refuse the bottle. Daddy thinks she will scream the whole time I'm gone. She just started crying when I leave the room. The two year old is also very attached to me and wouldn't be as comforted by her father. Would you go to the hospital or stay home with the baby and send the hubby? We have a four year old, too.
We could put it off a while longer (weaning Baby at around a year). The doctor said that is an option, but her sleep quality might get worse and worse. What would you do?

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 12:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• How often does your 7 month old wake up at night? Could you go after the baby is down for the night? Is there a grandparent that could help out?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:12 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• i wouldnt let the health problems of the two year old go. if the only thing keeping you from going is dad being uncomfortable with a crying baby, tough love says to let him deal with it. if the baby really puts up that much of a fuss, can he bring her to the hospital? i wish i had something helpful to say other than the same questions jeremysmom asked. im going to bump you and wish you the best of luck.
    AbsynthLynn

Answer by AbsynthLynn at 2:05 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Well, maybe if you are pumping you and your dh could take turns.
    thtqrljess07

Answer by thtqrljess07 at 2:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Call the hospital and let them know that you you have a baby that you ae still nursing - "when you bring your other child in, would they have a crib they could put in the room"? If not, bring the pack'n'play so you have a place to have baby play/sleep. Neither your 2yr old nor your 7 mon old are going to "understant" mommy can't be with them and why would you even try?
    I would not put this off because as a person who has sleep apnea - her quality of sleep (and yours too!) is very bad and there are many people who've nearly died in their sleep and plenty more that actually have - young and old alike.

Both of your LO's need you Momma - be there for them BOTH! GL!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I agree ask the hospital if you can bring the baby with you. If that is not an option then I would say let your husband go with the 2 year old. Is it a thing were you can be with her during the day and for the surgery and you husband can just stay at night, My DD is in the hospital right now and although she prefers my husband he can't always be here because he works.

I know you can put it off, although if it were me I would not want to.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:58 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I'd try cutting out dairy before I'd try surgery (for anything, frankly)... and the 2yo 'might not be' as comforted by her dad, but your 7mo is right smack in the middle of 'no one else is mommy' development, as you've noted. It's the hardest time for a child to be separate from mom... and 2yos have moms and dads on nearly the same plane.

I wouldn't 'ask' the hospital anything. If you show up with the baby, what are they going to do, put it in suspended animation or suggest you leave it in the car? They can say 'no' if you ask, but if you show up with the baby, their hands are tied.

But seriously, professional speakers and singers avoid dairy because of the amount of mucus it makes. It is not an essential human food anymore than figs are --it's a healthy option in a varied diet, but people don't die of cow's milk deficiency.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:42 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• stay in the hospital at that age they need there mom . I have a 25 year old and a 15 year old and I always stayed in the hospital with them till they got older than me and my husband would take turns cause my oldest has had over brain surgeries and I was totally exhausted after being in and out of hospital i was getting physically sick myself so I had burnout by the time he entered college he is better now but in the future may need more surgeries.
    dtdori

Answer by dtdori at 11:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We tried eliminating dairy and gluten with no change.
    Hazelnutkin

Comment by Hazelnutkin (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2010