Opinion on single mother working nights and 14yr old stays alone at night

One of my son's friends mother just got a job working nights. So her son is home alone throughout night while he sleeps. It worries me cause that's not normal for me. I've ask a few people and got mix opinons.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• It's not really your business. He's not your child. He's old enough to sleep alone. And sometimes single parents do what they gotta do. He's 14 not 6.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• 14 year old boy? Is the neighborhood relatively safe? I guess I'd let her worry about it. If she feels comfortable and trusts her son, I think it would be OK. I remember being by myself at that age and I was a girl.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Kids don't go to juvinille hall because mommy worked late....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I just depends on the maturity level of the boy. My mom worked nights on the weekend for as long as I could remember growing up. I think I was 12 or 13 when I started staying at home watching my 8 or 9 year old brother. I remember doing what I wanted but never got in any trouble with the law or anything. Usually it was just some friends over eating all the food and watching movies.

I think single parents do what they have to do to make it, and the kids of single parents adapt well and understand the circumstances. She knows her kid and probably had a long discussion on what he can and can't handle. and he is 14 and not 6 so I don't see the huge deal. I was home by myself during the day much earlier than that. I turned out fine.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 1:19 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My mom worked nights when I was 15/16. A 14 year old can take care of himself just fine during the night, but might get up to mischief. I didn't really get in trouble, personally, but I did tend to have sex a lot and sometimes drink while my Mom was at work. She knew about the drinking though, and was ok with it as long as I stayed at home. I'm sure she guessed about the sex, but just figured that she wouldn't be able to say anything to dissuade me, and I was on BC anyway so I'd be alright.
    As long as this person trusts her kid to do the right thing, then it's their life and you shouldn't worry about it. People have to work, and will often take whatever they can get. Don't think badly of her just because the job she found happens to be a night job. It's better than not working at all and being homeless.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:29 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My husband has a half brother that is 16 and a half sister that is 14. Their mom works nights a lot and they are left on their own. It is not good because most teens when left to their own devoces will do whatever they want. Both of them are in juvy right now. Not saying this will be your friend's son, but it's very possible that he will get into trouble while left alone over night.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• kids go to juvenile hall because of lack of supervision and a parent who works all night sleeps all day. she should find a family member or close friend to keep an eye on her child when she cannot. even if its a neighbor.
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 1:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My sister works nights and my nephew stays home by himself and he is 10 which in Oregon is the legal age that a child can be left alone. I think it depends on the situation though..My nephew is really responsible for his age and my sister works 5 mins away and he knows the people who live next door pretty well...If his mom thinks he is old enough to handle it i don't see any harm in trying it out.

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 1:15 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• She goes to work at 9pm and gets off at 9am
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Legally speaking, there is no problem, as children as young as 8 can stay home alone. Personally, I would give the mother an option of having her son stay at my home. I am a single mom, and sometimes I feel like I am always asking for help and just don't know where else to turn or feel like there is an alternative. Give her an alternative if you don't like it.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 7:34 AM on Dec. 14, 2010