Happy Birthday to you

Today is my birthday (it's still December 13 here). I'm 34...yippee, lol.
Just wondering what everyone thinks of this. Got up like normal to make sure the kids got off to school on time. They did. Hubby was at work as usual (leaves at 3:30am and gets home around 10pm and goes right to bed to get up at 3:30am again).
The entire day not a single one of them acknowledged my birthday. I didn't get a "happy birthday" from any of them, not even a text from my husband. He came home at 10 and gave me a hug like he normally does, had dinner and went to bed. No mention of my birthday at all.
I stopped expecting gifts years ago. The kids were too little to get any and my husband never thought about that stuff. Cards, too...haven't gotten one from my husband in years for anything (anniversary, Mother's Day, etc). But I figured I'd get at least a "happy birthday". I guess that's over, too.
And the kids just don't care if it doesn't involve stuff for them.
Part of my really doesn't care. It's just another day. I was home alone with the kids, had a headache all day, had to cook and clean and do laundry like any other day. But the other part is just bummed that I mean so little to them that they can't even wish me a happy birthday.
At least I have friends online. About 1/3 of the people on my facebook wished me a happy birthday (all friends and family) and my dad sent me a gift that I was totally not expecting (I got a violin and a bunch of stuff to go with it, it's been coming in little packages over the last 3 days...I got 4 deliveries today alone, lol).
I thought we were going to Red Robin on Wednesday to celebrate (I get a free burger) but now my husband says he wants chili on Wednesday so I guess I'm cooking.

Anyone else just ignored by their family?

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 1:28 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• mine was the 2nd and your day sounds a lot like mine was. Only way hubby knew was he saw my FB wall. I got "surprised a"t dinner. I cant complain too much he thought I was only 37. I'm 39
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 1:33 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Its usually the same way with me unless I say something to my husband. My son is only 3 year...so he cant say happy birthday to me uless hes told to. My parents usally send me a card with money in it.(has my brother bring it to me since I dont talk to them) But yeah...DH doesnt celebrate our annerversary or valentines day. I used to get really bummed out when he didnt aknowledge it, but have gotten used to it. Im sorry this happens to you!

happy birthday

Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 1:35 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• happy birthdayI know how you feel but here HAPPY BIRTHDAY

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Sorry that happened. I would be mad. Can't say much because I was a day late telling my dad happy birthday the other day. Did you mention it to anyone? I took my bday off FB so I would know who even knew it was my birthday and I got like 2 happy birthday's. We didn't really celebrate my birthday but at least my boyfriend said happy birthday! I would at least expect that! But if you don't say anything your family won't know..and it sounds like your family is taking you for granite. You should demand that he makes you dinner or that you go out. You deserve it. Your husband sounds like he works a lot and that can make you crazy and forgetful but I would say something or it will eat you away!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• happy birthdayI hope your day gets better and God bless you.

ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 1:44 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I gave up on Mother's Day and our anniversary years ago. In 2008 I spent a good 20 minutes finding just the right anniversary card for him. He never opened it. He stuck it on the desk and said he'd look at it later and it was still sitting there 2 1/2 years later when I packed everything up for our move...still closed. I don't get Mother's Day gifts either or for Christmas or any day.
    Last year on my birthday he took the day off so we could do "something" and then spent the day playing video games and got mad when I asked if we were still doing something. We never went out and he got a day off of work (I got to clean and cook dinner for everyone). I give up. I keep hoping he'll suddenly think of someone besides himself and surprise me with a gift that he actually put some thought into (like I've really been wanting a wedding band-been married 11 years and still don't have one). Oh well.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• holding balloonsHappy Birthday to you!!!! Sorry this happened, my fil is the same w/my hubby, for the past 3 yrs he always calls my df on his bday only to tell him something else, never a happy bday, now df sisters bday is the following month& thats when fil calls cuz he  never forgets his dd bday& that is when he always realizes its df bday.

gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Actually, he only works 3 days a week. He worked 8 hours on Sunday and works 16 hours each on Monday and Tuesday and has the rest of the week off and in November used his vacation days to take the Sundays off so only worked 2 days a week and had 5 days off.
    I'm sure most people on my facebook only knew it was my birthday because it told them but I was okay with that. I forgot to wish my cousin a happy birthday on there (his was on the 10th) but he got to me. Usually the only people that remember are my brother (who will text or call me) and, maybe, my dad (it's not that he forgets he just suffers from depression and can't deal with it all--I think he was the only one to wish me a happy birthday last year). And my sil always remembers and sends me a card. Usually my 10yo remembers but not today.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 1:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• gabby--that comment reminded me of my brother. I love him to death and know he's only teasing me but he always tells me he remembers my birthday because his ex-girlfriend's birthday is the day after mine. When they were going out (years and years ago) he would call me to say hi on my birthday and then tell me how he forgot to get me a card again but then go on and on about all the plans he had for his girlfriend the next day. Even after they broke up he still got her expensive gifts (they are still very close and I'm pretty sure he's still in love with her and they've been broken up for like 5 years or something).
    Anyway, he still jokes that he only remembers because of her (he sees her all the time and I haven't seen him in 4 years). He texted me and left me a note on facebook. Love him to death.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 1:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• welcomed to the club my whole family totally forgot my birthday. my friends treat me better than my own family. just plan on doing something yourself.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 4:44 AM on Dec. 14, 2010