White mothers - Do you allow your children to watch cartoons or shows with a predominatly black cast?

I.e - Little Bill, The Cosby Show, Fresh Prince

I am asking specifically of white mothers that have white children. Mothers with interracial children, I am already assuming you would not have issue with this, thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Of course! I want my children to like and respect ALL people. We don't base our TV limitations on race... we base it on language and violence.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I don't base what my kids watch on the color of the children. I base it on the contest and the lesson they learn from the show.
    shoegal

Answer by shoegal at 9:47 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Wow. Seriously. I make choices about what my kids watch based on the quality of the show, not the color of the characters on it. Anyone who does so is racist.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Yes why now? I mean in life they will have to interact with all kinds of people why not let them. I know when I was young I never really had the interaction with any one outside my race until I moved and it was really hard because you think there is something wrong with u. If you set them up to be able to interact with anyone of any color they will blossom in life. It gets easier over time but not the easiest thing.
    1expecting09

Answer by 1expecting09 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Yes, I see no problem with it at all. In fact my daughter loves to watch Little Bill. I do not worry about the color of the individuals, but the content of the show.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Sure, why not? If they like the show and I approve (no dirty humor and such--age appropriate) then there's no reason to deny them. People need to be colorblind...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• i dont base what i let my daughter on the color. i base it on if i beleive that the show is teaching her things i want her to learn.
    rachelisamail

Answer by rachelisamail at 10:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I have to add to my above post...I don't like the channel BET. It's not because it's for blacks, but because of the idea of an all black station. If whites had an all white station then all hell would break loose. I wouldn't like it if it was an all Asian station as well.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I'm a black mother and I let my children watch shows with all white characters so what is the difference. I know that you asked the question of only white mothers, but i had to respond. I'm happy to see that the other mothers who responded have enough common sense to judge shows by the content and not the race of the characters. What world do you live in and what are you teaching your children? Do you want your children to believe that white people are the only people in the world? I would love to know why you posted this question, but hope that you would teach your children to respect and appreciate all races. There are many wonderful things to be learned by watching great shows from different cultural groups.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• No kids yet, but for [unborn] baby? Yes, as long as they don't have racial remarks against white people...
    DanaSalisbury

Answer by DanaSalisbury at 10:31 AM on Jul. 6, 2008